Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Pop outs"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    What's a Fib?
    Fornicating Illinois Illegitimate. A somewhat dated Wisconsin slur directed at our southern neighbor. There is indeed a large population in the Southeast corner of our state of refugees from the harsh blue regime of high taxes and low credit quality. They are more to be pitied than detested, and serve as a stark reminder of what can happen when Democrats dominate a place for too long.

When I moved to the West Coast i was surprised that people here that had lived in either state knew the term. It was economically harmful to the people that worked in smaller WI towns since the Fibs commuted to Chicago. Also many were rude, etc. Overall it was bad for the economy and the people.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Fornicating Illinois Illegitimate. A somewhat dated Wisconsin slur directed at our southern neighbor.
    Wow! Who knew?
    Wisconsin doesn't sound like a very friendly place.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    When I moved to the West Coast i was surprised that people here that had lived in either state knew the term. It was economically harmful to the people that worked in smaller WI towns since the Fibs commuted to Chicago. Also many were rude, etc.
    What, they didn't take kindly to being slandered?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Lots of people in WI have moved to the town I live in. NOt many Illinois people here. They were disliked for many valid reasons. When you have old people that can't stay in their paid for homes because their property values were driven up that they can't afford the taxes and in general people from the big cities in IL are very rude, etc. Just spend some time in chicago.

It actually is a friendly, great place to live. I am not saying all people from Il or Chicago are nasty but I have met a lot of very rude chicago people. Probably like anyone that lives for a long time in a huge city people seem to get that way to adapt I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Lots of people in WI have moved to the town I live in. NOt many Illinois people here. They were disliked for many valid reasons. When you have old people that can't stay in their paid for homes because their property values were driven up that they can't afford the taxes and in general people from the big cities in IL are very rude, etc. Just spend some time in chicago.
    No thanks, you're pointing out just how un-welcoming and dangerous those liberal cities and states can be. I'll stick with my friendly and sociable tribe here in my red state.

Interstate and even intrastate hostility is a proud American tradition. I have heard people from Washington speak in colorful terms about interlopers from California bidding up the real estate and expresso. I have heard Minnesotans refer to people from the Dakotas as "Daks" and Ohioans refer to people from Kentucky as "Briars". When I lived in Chicago, "downstate" was somewhere you never went unless you were serving a prison term. I have spoken to people who couldn't conceive of life outside of Manhattan. A professor friend told me that students from out of state in the University of Wisconsin system are often called "Coasties".

The whole "flyover people" vs "coastal effetes" thing is just one thread in the rich tapestry of hostility and alienation that weaves our great land together.

That is just silly! Actually the friendliest state I ever lived in was KS. The least friendly was upstate NY. If you did not grow up there it took people forever to be accepted. In general WI is friendly. It was just a issue at the time that many places have gone through and I am sure is long forgotten. When people are struggling economically they resent the force that caused the change. It is human nature but people get over it. I left in 1993 and I sure it is long forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Jay Leno also said it, but also attributed to Bill Miller, in 1991, and based on an older saying that goes back to at least 54.
    http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...or_ugly_people
    Would that be Stephanie Miller's father, Bill Miller? Barry Goldwater's running mate? She an attractive woman who deals in both politics and show business--perhaps the exception that proves the rule. I listen to her show most mornings.

Thread Information