Thread: Homemade caramels

Homemade caramels

I've been making caramels at christmas for a long time. Even though I have about 4 candy thermometers, the caramels seem to turn out different every time. I do check each thermometer's boiling point before I start. Sometimes they are too soft, sometimes too hard. The other day I decided I'd had enough of trusting thermometers, and paid very close attention to what the stuff looked like after a certain time, plus did the drop-in-cold-water test.....although I did look at the 2 thermometers and knew I was about there. I'm close to attempting another batch without using any thermometers at all.

Anyone good at this drop-in-cold-water method, for guessing soft/firm/hard ball stage? I mean people in times past didn't have candy thermometers, right? Maybe they didn't make caramels........just hard tack. haha

I might try it if it's not for gift-giving some time.......which is very dangerous, even if it doesn't work out.....to have that much caramel in any form around!

They sound yummy- even if too hard or too soft. I am pretty sure humidity plays a huge part. I make sticky buns and just making the dough depends on humidity how much flour it needs. The sticky toffee part on the bottom is also tricky- melting butter, corn syrup (this has made my results more predictable) and brown sugar in the microwave, let it boil up, then stir, boil up again then stir, boil up again, then stir....always a guess. I go by taste and how sugary it feels on my teeth but I suspect for caramels it needs to be cooked longer than just to have the sugar completely dissolved. Keep trying!!! I get you about it being dangerous to have caramel around.

My great-aunt made the best caramels ever! Every year for Christmas we got a box of them, and a box of fudge. She never used a thermometer. After she passed, I made them for quite a few years, and I didn't use a thermometer either, I just dropped them in cold water like she did. After a couple batches, you just get a feel for it. They are scrumptious! If I made them now, I'd most likely mess up a couple of batches first - I've not made them in years. Good luck with them CathyA - home made caramels are the best!!

Thanks nswef and early morning.
    Early morning......I tried to post a pic of mine, but photobucket is sick and won't let me in. You've encouraged me to be brave and try some without the thermometers. I wouldn't try it the first few times if they were for gifts. But it truly IS dangerous to have so many around. I don't have a sweet tooth........I have a sweet body! haha My recipe makes around 70-80 pieces. I would feel too insecure cutting the recipe in half, since that can cause some problems.
    How did you wrap yours? I just use squares of waxed paper and twist the ends. It's wild to think about how people figured out certain foods. Maybe caramels were an accident? I'm trying to make less candy around christmas, because I just can't be trusted with it. I made some mint chocolate bark for a friend the other day, and, well, let's just say the box of them for her won't be quite as big as it could have been!

I think it's great that you're making caramels and mint chocolate bark. They sound delicious. I don't have experience making candy. Have you tried looking at Youtube videos? They have everything...

I use a candy thermometer in my soap making, and a lot of it is timing. I can do it without a thermometer now.

My Mom made turtles and wow were they good. They never lasted long.

Thread Information