Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice etc

Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice etc

Since it is coming to winter solstice and some celebrate this, I thought I would pass along my wishes for a wonderful respite over the next week from the turbulence going on . Take a break and find your peace and serenity as there is so much that is good and beautiful in our wonderful world.

I am constantly delighted with the lively gentleness in my dog, the kindly conversations when out walking, the amazing staff at stores graciously handling all the stress during this busy season, the neighbours and friends who greet me daily and are a joy to know. I stopped and had tea with a long-term friend yesterday which was such a treat. I mentor a little boy at school and he is such a bright but very lively little guy with huge hugs to share when he sees me.

These are the true gifts of the season.

What delightful gifts have come your way?

Wishing the spirit of Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to each in the way that means the most to you.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

thank you. The way December has been throwing things at me I have been feeling like my bonfire tomorrow night will be more of a reminder that darkness ends and less a celebration of light. I needed the reminder that you see what you focus on.

and merry Christmas to you.

Merry Christmas! I have been completely enjoying Christmas music this year and want to share one of my favorites:

https://youtu.be/yCvlubCFSkU

There is such beauty in the world.

To this darkest part of the year, friends bring the light. Happy holidays to one and all!

Thanks Razz for the reminder. From Dec. 21-31 here in MD we gain 5 minutes of daylight. That's keeping me going! This morning I looked at my coffee cup....I love the shape, color and the fact that it was made by a human at a wheel, who chose the color, shape and formed it with her/his hands. this morning I remembered why I can enjoy cold weather, the frost twinkles!!!! Trying to focus on lovely, good thoughts and stop angry rantings at the world! The sight of red bows on the white railing lift my heart, the sight of a jet trail in the blue sky- wondering where it is going and who is on it. Sending them happy safe thoughts. Yes, so much beauty.

Winter Solstice is very special in our house. 15 years ago we had the most amazing candle light wedding. Looking forward to spending a quiet evening in front of the fire tomorrow with something yummy to nibble on and some lovely music to listen to. Happy holidays everybody

My DH and I were married on 12/27 and originally I thought it would be a terrible time to get married but it was awesome. We chose that because all our kids would be home from college and our friends from the Midwest were teachers and were off work. Everyone came and we had so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My DH and I were married on 12/27 and originally I thought it would be a terrible time to get married but it was awesome. We chose that because all our kids would be home from college and our friends from the Midwest were teachers and were off work. Everyone came and we had so much fun.
    Ditto on the rationale, 12/26 here, and everybody was off work for the reception.

Hurray for Winter Solstice! Days will now be getting longer. Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukkah or Happy Kwanzaa or Joyful Festivus!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I was thinking about the Solstice! It always seems like such a great milestone to get to the shortest day--as beckyliz said, now we have lengthening days to look forward to! Happy Anniversary, simplemind, Tybee and Teacher Terry--I also got married in the winter--January 1977. Winter weddings are unique and special, although I've often wondered, "what were we thinking??" because we didn't have the rationale that you guys had. We just couldn't/didn't want to wait till the spring. And I wanted my bridesmaids to wear kilts, and they would have been out of season in the spring.

My gifts of the season? My kids coming down from Vermont. Gratitude for a good year of work. Joy at being relatively confident that I'll get my list done before Christmas. Serenity taking my dog on chilly walks through the neighborhood, looking at the lights.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information