Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condolences for Germany

Condolences for Germany

People enjoying a Christmas market in Berlin were killed by a truck.

The latest reports seem to say that the Pakistani suspect has been released due to lack of evidence. Berliners are being told to remain at home tonight.

With the murder of the Russian Ambassador to Turkey, does anyone else feel a pre-1914 echo?
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 12-20-16 at 2:12pm. Reason: Typo

I've been feeling pre-apocalyptic lately. I hope I'm wrong.

Well, wasnt it provocative anyway, to put on a big Christmas event? Right out there in front of everyone. Insensitive in a way. Not everyone is Christian.

Or the apologist narrative goes something like that.
    Last edited by iris lily; 12-20-16 at 4:05pm.

Ishbel, for what it is worth, I too flashed on Archduke Ferdinand when I heard this news.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've been feeling pre-apocalyptic lately. I hope I'm wrong.
    I felt sort of that way when Hillary took time during one of the Presidential debates to look the camera right in the eye and threaten to impose a no-fly zone over Syria against the Russians. That seemed....odd.

It's like They(*) want to push us into war. Might help the economy and global warming though.

(*) Pick your own personal value of "They"

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Ishbel, for what it is worth, I too flashed on Archduke Ferdinand when I heard this news.
    I don’t see a Guns of August scenario here. Russia doesn’t have an elaborate system of alliances to drag into a greater war. Nor do the ramshackle Russian economy and restive minority populations seem to favor a very long or massive war. The major European powers seem too preoccupied with internal issues for intervention along their borders, and also lack the military capacity to do so in any case. The incoming U.S. president seems dangerously ambivalent about the American commitment to NATO. I would think that if these two authoritarian states were to decide to fight each other, the world at large would be inclined to let them.

I'm just glad my daughter's research expedition to Turkey got cancelled by their security team.

Bae, I don't blame you. Turkey is not a safe place right now. When we were recently on our cruise I did not watch the news for 9 days at all which is unusual for me. It was a nice break. In Little Rock someone fired a shot in a car because the Grandma driving did not take off fast enough from a stop sign and killed her 3 yo grandchild. All of this is just sickening.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post
    Well, wasnt it provocative anyway, to put on a big Christmas event? Right out there in front of everyone. Insensitive in a way. Not everyone is Christian.

I don't think there are a lot of apologists for terrorists--at least the Middle Eastern kind. They're pretty much roundly denounced by everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lily View Post

Snarky. Real snarky.

Thread Information