Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Retire to Warmer Climate

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    See, thats the problem, no place in the U.S is really perfect.
    Wrong :-)

The San Juan Islands.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Wrong :-)

The San Juan Islands.
    Maybe, doesnt it rain there a lot, too?also, there is a sad lack of city life. I need a city. Sorry! You wont entice me there with all of those trees (shudder.)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Maybe, doesnt it rain there a lot, too?also, there is a sad lack of city life. I need a city. Sorry! You wont entice me there with all of those trees (shudder.)
    Very little rain, except up on the mountains. The whole county is in what we call "The Blue Hole", and is sunny even through much of the winter. The Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges on the mainland, along with the mountains on Vancouver Island, scrape off all the bad weather before it gets here, usually.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    can have the windows open for most of the year.
    Meh, same for us in Chicago.

I think the Northwest in general, Seattle area in particular, is pretty much perfect, but I'm not well-traveled, so that may just be my provincial take on it.
    Yes, the trees would drive you crazy, Iris Lily. They're everywhere and can be a menace during windstorms. The rain doesn't bother me at all; it's what makes us green, and gives us plenty of water. I wouldn't live in the Southeast.

I have lived on both coasts, but settled on the Upper Midwest. I like my climate with a bit of variety and a little bite to it. I also like living among people who aren't especially intimidated by snow and cold.

I would definitely have fun planning trips to a few different places. As Catherine said, Beaufort NC is very nice--right on the water, with banks visible from the shore, and nice historic house section--the Episcopal church is lovely, built by ship builders using ship techniques, like an upended ship above you. Neat pirate history and the furthest north live oak trees can grow, or at least that is what they told me when I was investigating moving there 25 years ago.

I liked Seattle, but too expensive for my life and means. But it was very neat, and I could see living there if one had the money.

The Southeast coast is where I was born, so I prefer it, but have also lived in Virginia, and I think you might like Charlottesville a lot. We've considered Lexington, which is also nice.

LIved in Delaware as a kid and Rehobeth might not suit you, although have you thought of the Eastern Shore of Maryland and VA? I loved the housing stock, gorgeous, but with hurricanes being what they are, and my needing to reach family easily, it would be too remote for me. But have loved that area since reading Misty of Chincoteague and going there once for vacation. If I had no family, that is where I would move!

For me the most important thing about where I live is the quality of my friends. I have lived in 5 states and have been happy in all of them. Of course some I like better then others. Kansas was flat and ugly where I lived but the people were awesome. I love to be outside and our mild 4 seasons allow me to get out and walk an hour daily.

bae, is it expensive to live in the San Juan Islands? My husband visited there once and would love to move there. Weather/climate hazards like earthquakes, fires, etc?
    I think deep in our hearts we know that our comforts, our conveniences are at the expense of other people. Grace Lee Boggs

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    We made our 17th move to retire in Florida. My favorite place ever to live. We live in Central Florida north of Orlando. Great weather, and many great other retired friends. Renting here for Jan-March is very expensive because everyone wants to do that. We take a few month camping trip each summer to the National and state parks north. Love my life.

Thread Information