Thread: Greenways on bicycle

Greenways on bicycle

Here in lil' ol' Columbus, Ohio we have Greenways. These are multi-use paths along the river and through parks and such.

There are miles and miles of them.

I think I have a 4 day weekend this weekend. And since I don't do Xmas and such, I am thinking of bundling up and riding the greenways.

My intention is to explore the idea of taking a cross-state bicycle tour in late summer.

Anyone cycle their city's greenways comprehensively? Anyone ride across their entire state?

Sounds great! I am headed out later this afternoon in MI to brave the slush I put my studded bike tires on the other day. Trailink.com has lots of info. I started late last fall with a goal to visit as many as I can. I love the Wabash Trail in your great state. I don't know about Ohio, but MI has the PALM across state ride for casual riders not a race each summer. I rode Christmas day many years, just to say I did and will this year even if for a block!

I have cycled across a couple of states in supported groups. One large group and one small. Both had arrangements for camping at night and weren't expensive. The advantage of a group is that the guides have supposedly scoped the rides and picked good routes. The support vehicles usually provide some sort of signage or other way to caution motorists and the number of riders is more visible compared to a single or pair. I probably would not do it on my own unless I had carefully picked low traffic roads with wide shoulders because I am paranoid about highway traffic. Plus they carry your gear. If there is some way to do this on green ways out of traffic, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have cycled across a couple of states in supported groups. One large group and one small. Both had arrangements for camping at night and weren't expensive. The advantage of a group is that the guides have supposedly scoped the rides and picked good routes. The support vehicles usually provide some sort of signage or other way to caution motorists and the number of riders is more visible compared to a single or pair. I probably would not do it on my own unless I had carefully picked low traffic roads with wide shoulders because I am paranoid about highway traffic. Plus they carry your gear. If there is some way to do this on green ways out of traffic, that would be great.
    Sounds fun! I am envious.

My parents are here for the holidays and my dad is probably going to pass down his old bike to me. A pretty nice one, there are places to ride close to my house at least on the weekends even if I can't get to work on a bike. So I am pretty excited.

We have several miles of bike paths along the Willamette River in Eugene and beyond. My favorite place to ride all year long - lots of birds - especially love watching the big blue heron, they are such majestic birds.

Lots of Strava segments along the way, so if I am out to push some miles, it is fun to see how I place among other
    riders and myself. Or if I want to just go on a leisurely ride, the river route is the best.

Thread Information