Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Invitation to Join us in the 2017 Eat a Pound of Greens a Day Challenge

Invitation to Join us in the 2017 Eat a Pound of Greens a Day Challenge

Invitation to Join us in the 2017 Eat a Pound of Greens a Day Challenge

Several of us are taking on this challenge for 2017 and would love to have company.

How it works: Eat a pound of greens a day--can be a mix of cooked/raw. That's four servings.

Notes:

It's good if at least one is from the Brassica family: Cabbage, Broccoli, Mustard, Bok Choy, Rutabaga, Cauliflower, Kohlrabi, Turnip, Collards, Kale, Brussels Sprouts, etc.

If you are on blood thinners that interact with vitamins in greens, coordinate with your doctor as you increase.

If you have thyroid issues, some varieties of greens my need to be eaten cooked only.

Favorite recipes:

What are some of your favorite sources for recipes? If you know of some good Pinterest boards for greens recipes, would love links to them.

I have resolved to have 4 cups of salad a day starting tomorrow - just got home, I have been away the past few days visiting family. I am trying all kinds of mixtures in vinaigrettes for fun. A pound is a lot of veggies but carrots, broccoli etc do have some weight.
    So will join in this challenge.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Are you including all veggies, or is it limited to the "greens?"
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

It's a lot, I weighted my everyday large lunch salad and was generous with the lettuce, and it's only 6 oz (and I think easily 4 cups) of lettuce.
    Trees don't grow on money

I had cauliflower at lunch, and corn and potatoes for dinner. I also had some salsa with toritila chips. I like veggies and fruit but iceberg lettuce isn't that high in nutrients. I like raw spinich but it is only available in huge bags at the stores here.

My aim is to eat more plant based food so trying this could be a good kick start.

OK, this is going to be harder than I thought.

After a cream of mushroom soup with a cup of mushrooms and 1/2 of green beans with a sandwich for lunch, I weighed my supper made up of the 4 cups of Romaine lettuce with an orange-sized crown of broccoli and 1/2 red pepper both diced and it was only 1/2lb.
    I can see a stir-fry with cabbage, kale, onions etc but not one lb of just salad unless someone can suggest ways to do this for any length of time. I try to eat sustainably but including variety.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I'm not up for eating a pound of greens, but I should increase my potassium intake, so I'm laying in bags of spinach and avocados and Zoi Greek yogurt, because potassium powder is truly gagworthy. I plan to make my own yogurt soon..

Well, what would a pound look like? 1 cup of salad greens is not really so much when you think of putting salad greens into a one cup measure. I easily eat more than that when having a salad. But I've been in a rut and not been much into salads these days. Now, 1 cup of cooked greens is actually a lot. 1 cup of broccoli not so bad, so 2 is do-able. As for eating that much DAILY, it would be a challenge. I've been having a lot of grain actually, a bowl of oatmeal and a slice or two of whole grain toast most mornings. If I only eat the oatmeal, I don't last the 6 hours from 6 am to 12.00 am. And I have to, because there is no option to eat anything else healthy in that time period. But, then I don't usually have greens for breakfast.

Most prechopped greens are sold in 8, 12 or 16 ounce bags, that is a lot of lettuce. Lettuce is actually difficult to digest due to the fiber so use caution folks!

Thread Information