Thread: Flowers in dumpster

Flowers in dumpster

IMG_2628.jpg

I scored dozens of free flowers when dumpster diving yesterday. I'll use many of them to make practice floral arrangements and give a few to friends. Some of them are Statice amd another tiny filler type flower that will dry nicely.

In this haul are a lot of big white hydrangeas, each individually wrapped and each has a water sack. What a lot of labor goes into these! There are lots of gladiolas here, and more, if I want to go back to the dumpster. The weather is perfect for preserving them, in the 30's F.

I live close to the wholesale florist district and sometimes check the dumpsters. This was an especially good haul. And of course the things I dont use will be composted.

Wow what a good find, I wonder if there is a flower donation project like for food. So the extra flowers can be sent to a nursing home or hospital. Just a thought, I had no idea there was so much waste (makes more sense of the price of flowers) and that is great that you are using them

How neat!! I love hydrangeas.

Score!

The Trader Joes in my town gives the old flowers to the Salvation Army. Sometimes they are pretty nice and have a couple of days left in them.

Ooh, you lucky! Well spotted, great haul!

Thread Information