Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 what films are you watching?

2016 what films are you watching?

New year, new thread!

My husband and I saw The Big Short today--very well done, and explains convoluted financial concepts very well. I'm looking forward to Hail Caesar, the new Coen Brothers film, in February 2016.

I got through my first entire movie since 9/14, although I stopped and paused it so many times it took 1/2 a day. It was Scoop. the Woody Allen movie. Either my sense of humor headed south with everything else or he is less funny. Some of his movies are enchanting instead, like the Paris one with Owen Wilson, or serious but I think this one was supposed to be funny; a madcap caper. Meh.

We just watched Blue Ruin on Netflix. Psychological drama about revenge, a little black humor but subtle, it was pretty good for an unknown indy. Bloody, though.

We saw "Mr. Holmes", a movie about Sherlock Holmes at 93, dealing with fraity and memory issues. I thought it was an excellent movie in every way

I am thinking a lot about aging these days; this movie brought up a lot of points for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    We saw "Mr. Holmes", a movie about Sherlock Holmes at 93, dealing with fraity and memory issues. I thought it was an excellent movie in every way
    I liked that one, too! It was a pleasant surprise since I never saw any reviews or publicity for it.

rodeosweetheart
    I actually had to leave that one in the middle because it upset me so much as am dealing with an aging dad with memory and frailty issues.

I rented an old favorite called I Know Where I'm Going, a Powell/Pressburger film. It's a gorgeous black and white movie, with Roger Livesey (dreamy) and Wendy Hiller, set in the Scottish Hebrides. Very romantic but in a really subtle way. Watched it twice, once as normal and today with commentary, which was very interesting and made me notice things I hadn't seen before.

I didn't even know Mr. Holmes was out in the theater yet. Saw a preview for it on some dvd my mom rented when I dog sat last year, looked interesting.

Today, I ran errands for work on my day off. So tired from running, so when I got back, I ended up watching Childhood's End that was discussed here last year. Interesting, but I think the music caught my attention more.

I'd be interested in how often people go to the movies or rent discs. I think I can name all the movies (theater) I have seen since 1987's Ishtar, put me off of movies. Probably not all the discs as I know not all of them were memorable.

Although not a movie, we have been watching Making a Murder on Netflix. It has been driving me crazy. We only have two episodes left and I don't know if I can finish.
    I really liked Mr. Holmes.

Thread Information