Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Williamsmith
    I am doing things a little in reverse. I am spending some time in Savannah, GA and today my wife and I were given a nice personal tour of the Mercer Williams House, setting for the book, "Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil" and the movie directed by Clint Eastwood of the same name.

I will read the book when I return home after stopping in Charleston, SC for a while. I like the freedom of bumming around and visiting iconic places. A number of very well known movies were filmed in the city, not the least of which was Forrest Gump. Also "Glory" and "Something To Talk About" .....I had lunch at The Six Pence Pub where Julia Roberts discovered Dennis Quaid with another woman.

Really such an eccentric town with charming people.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    The Keepers was very disturbing to us. Both DH and I were raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools. His brother made allegations of being molested by a priest. One of the priests had dinner with them every Saturday and played golf with his dad. His aunt is a nun who left the church 10 years ago due to frustrations over child abuse. I didn't expect to be shocked over a bad priest. I was very upset with the network of evil including police officers and doctors. The states attorney - a woman no less - angered me the most.
    I am well versed on how investigations are done, chain of evidence and record keeping. Mistakes can be made, record keeping can be sloppy but this was not the case here. I couldn't get it off my mind and ended up joining a facebook page that keeps the discussion going. Bless those women for all the work they are doing. I hope one day they get the answers they are looking for.
    This Time report on a current sexual abuse scandal in the Vatican should cast a dimmer view on the depth of the infection worldwide.

http://time.com/4848627/cardinal-pel...ope-australia/

My dad grew up in Savannah and my grandparents lived in Ardsley Park. It is the best city in the country, far better thanCharleston.
    Did you know the original Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum was filmed in part in Savannah? Check out the beginning of the movie, when he walks out of the courthouse. I was watching it with my husband and said, "Boy, that looks so familiar."

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    This Time report on a current sexual abuse scandal in the Vatican should cast a dimmer view on the depth of the infection worldwide.

http://time.com/4848627/cardinal-pel...ope-australia/
    I hope they get him.

One more suggestion--go to see Flannery O'Connor's house. It is on the square with the cathedral. The tour is wonderful.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    My dad grew up in Savannah and my grandparents lived in Ardsley Park. It is the best city in the country, far better thanCharleston.
    Did you know the original Cape Fear with Robert Mitchum was filmed in part in Savannah? Check out the beginning of the movie, when he walks out of the courthouse. I was watching it with my husband and said, "Boy, that looks so familiar."
    I spent the morning at Tybee Island on the beach. I have to say I liked it much more than Hilton Head, Wrightsville, or Myrtle for accessibility and congestion. Very friendly people here.

I did a quick quick sweep through Charleston, SC tonight and I agree with you...Savannah is much more user friendly. Plan to tour a plantation and take a dinner cruise and tour of Fort Sumter. Seems to be places and people that need shied away from but some of the homes on the battery are amazing.

What films were made in Charleston? Must find out.

Yppej
    Life According to Sam, about progeria. I expected it to be a tearjerker, but for me it was not.

Saw Dunkirk, and really liked it. None of the usual tropes that ruin war films for me. No Spielberg band-of-brothersy treacle. No teary, overwrought war-is-so-terrible-we-must-never-fight-again silliness. Minimal pedantic what-it-all-means lecturing. Most of the actors were actually the right age for the part.

Yppej
    Sully. I watched it in bits and pieces so it took awhile. My attention and bladder spans are not what they used to be.

Parents called me over for dinner the other night. I have been working a bunch extra, due to work being down several people. Mom recorded the Kingsmen, since I never saw it, so had dinner and a movie. Pretty good movie, just wish I had caught it when it was at Redbox.
    Still not worth theater prices.

Thread Information