Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Never mind..........it took awhile, but I found it.

Williamsmith
    "Fences".....Denzel Washington, Viola Davis. Setting is Pittsburgh in the 1950's. A welcome break from rapid fire screen shot action films of late. Most of the movie takes place inside or outside a Hill District row house......very familiar to me.
    It will give you a thing or two to think about. I caught myself evaluating the period correctness of the furniture, carpentry, vehicles and various gadgets in the background......all while paying attention to the storyline and plot. The only thing that distracted me was keeping track of the amount of gin in the bottle that got passed back and forth. It had a tendency to vary illogically. Go figure.

My friends loved Fences. I saw that August Wilson play performed by the St. louis Black Repertory Theater years ago and it was stunning. Im not sure I want to overlay, in my mind, that experience eith a film experience, byt OTOH,this is getting great reviews and buzz, so I may go to it after working rheough my list of a couple other films.

The Dress Maker with Kate Winslet. Very quirky and I loved the visuals.

I finally saw Rogue One, the latest Star Wars drama in the theater. If you are a SW fan, it's well done. The visuals of the space crafts are quite something. The camera panning over and around the DeathStar, Star Destroyers and other space ships gives an illusion of how enormous their supposed to be. The CGI brings back General Tarkin as commander of the DeathStar. Darth Vader returns and the actor under the robes did an outstanding job of conveying menace with his body language. The voice of Darth Vader is still James Earl Jones and it did sound old to my ears. Princess Leia appears at the very end.

The film tells the story of who and how the plans to the Death Star are stolen by the Alliance. If you watch this film and than SW: A New Hope, the original film, they are perfectly matched to follow each other. We get a better inside look at the rebel base on Yavin. The only character not mentioned is Yoda. They also left out the traditional SW theme when opening the film, nor did they have a scrolling script updating viewers as to what's happening. Not sure why but it was confusing at the beginning as it jumps right into the film.

It's a gritty film.
    Here is a link to my blog page http://francesannwy.wordpress.com/

The sixth season of Game of Thrones surpassed my expectations. I will need to wait a long while for season seven on DVD.

Cypress, I love Star Wars and Rogue One was a seriously good movie. I liked learning the side story, it is such an epic story. The Darth Vader actor was really good, the effects were awesome as well. I don't like heights and as usual it had me cringing with some of the scenes. I thought it was more realistic that so many died, gritty for sure. It gave a lot of power to the primary films and the sacrifices made to get the plans out to the rebels.

I have read some about how it really was excellent in having a variety of races in lead roles. I was thinking about how many Hispanic males are in roles without being some type of criminal or in poverty. I know that the original was so important to me because Princess Leia was an amazing strong woman. Sci Fi pushes those boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Here we go, a new film thread.

on my list to see soon in the theater are:

Elle
    Edge of Seventeen
    Nocturnal Animals

on dvd, since I missed them in the theater

Captain Fantastic
    Sing Street
    Green Room

Als, I ak compiling a short list of documentaries to see.
    Edge of Seventeen has already been in theaters and gone. I watched it. Disliked how the main character acted - whiny little b____. I was seeing it for free and would of liked a refund. A few funny things but I just wanted to parent her!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I finally saw Wild. One of my boys gave it to me for christmas. I've watched it twice so far. Having hiked parts of the AP and also been involved in adventure camping ministry in WV and lead 10 day backpacking trips in CO....I loved this film. I'm ready to tackle the Ozark Highland Trail!
    The only other thing I've seen so far this year is the 4 Larry Fessenden movies: Habit, No Telling, Windego, and The Last Winter.
    I may go see a movie this afternoon and take advantage of my son's free passes.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I read that they are making a Gremlins 3 movie. Makes me want to watch the 2 originals that were interesting to see.

Wonder how long until Rogue One is on DVD?

Thread Information