Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

We also recently watched "Fair Game". *****Spoiler Alert****** (for those who don't know the outcome of the actual case).

It's about the outing of CIA agent Valerie Plame. It's supposedly a true story about how the Bush/Chaney Whitehouse ignored all the info about how there really wasn't any sale of enriched uranium sold to Iraq....which led to the Iraq war. Her husband, Joseph Wilson, wrote an article in the NY Times about there being no evidence of this uranium sale. The Whitehouse, et. al, outed her in retaliation of what her husband had done, and fired her, which left a lot of her secret contacts in various countries at risk. It was very interesting......and very disconcerting.

Today we saw Get Out!

This is a horror film about a young black man visiting an upper class suburb. He is there with white girlfriend and they are seeing her parents. He is greeted enthusiastically by her parents and their friends, and you will see why. It was highly entertaining. Its tone is irreverent and arch, and I liked that. While it isn't considered a comedy, it had lots of funny parts. The music is one of the best things about this film. Pacing, casting, and acting are great. The one downside was that perhaps the "horror" idea is far fetched, but overall I recommend this one!

Earlier in the week I watched Personal Shopper with Kristen Stewart. She plays a young artist in Paris who works for a rich woman, buying her clothes and jewelry, all the while wondering if her dead brother is trying to signal her from the grave. It was not good. Its hard to imagine a film set in Paris that doesn't have great scenery, but this one doesn't have it. K Stew put in her usual languid, pouty performance. Either you like that or you don't. The French think she is da bomb.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 4-1-17 at 11:58am.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    OMG, just saw Fences last night after my son said it was his favorite out of all the Oscar nominated movies.. Genius. That script was pure genius. I was so moved, and Williamsmith, you are right--so refreshing. In my mind it was a refreshing break from the mindset that unless your relationships match the glossy photoshopped images in a magazine you should consider it a failure, blame the other person, and just walk away. Yeah, life is tough. Relationships are tough. Families are tough. But as Tom Hanks' character in A League of Their Own says: "The hard is what makes it great."

When I asked my son what it was about he said, "Life." I consider it a success that I raised a child who recognizes that in life "You have to take the crookeds with the straights."

Awesome. Awesome.
    Fences is an incredible work, but it's the play that is strong.

Of course, decent actors have to be cast in order to have a strong production.

I saw the play performed by our city's Black Repertory theater years ago. It was a wonderful production. This company performs all of August Wilson's plays.

I did finally see the film with Denzel Washington and it was stunning, but I repeat my earlier criticism that a film doesn't bring anything of significance to the stage play. Of course, the film DOES expose many more people to the work so that is good.

Last night, DH and I watched "Genius", with Colin Firth and Jude Law. Jude Law did an amazing job. I didn't realize that Thomas Foote was so extremely hyper and self-centered. It was about an editor at Scribner's, Maxwell Perkins, and his relationship (mostly) with Thomas Foote. I thought it was interesting, especially the extra features info about these 2 men.

I recently watched The Eagle Huntress. It was classified as a documentary, but seemed to me to have a heavy Hollywood hand in telling. It was a heartwarming story and also an insight into a remote and proud culture. Among other things it is a story of happy and healthy people living with very little, but having a close connection to nature and family.

Going in Style. I expected it to be a probably screwed up remake, and it takes part of the original concept, and is more of a reboot, then a remake. It successfully stands alone from the original, in a completely original way.
    The only thing shocking about it, was an actor that I had never seen before, that looked like he could be the brother of a friend of mine. (couldn't get the image of my friend out of the role)

Last night we watched 10 Cloverfield Lane with John Goodman. It is a nice score when DH and I find a film that we both have interest in. Goodman's performance was very strong as was that of the female lead.

I won't tell you the plot, but it is interesting. JJ ABrams had some creative influence on this film, and it shows. It is a little smarter than the usual Hollywood horror thriller.
    Last edited by iris lily; 4-9-17 at 3:35pm.

Tried to watch "Meatballs" the 1970s comedy starring Bill Murray as a camp counselor. Didn't get too far into it, it hasn't held up well as one of those comedy classics.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Last night we watched 10 Cloverfield Lane with John Goodman. It is a nice score when DH and I find. Film that we both have interest in. Goodman's performance was very strong as was that of the female lead.

I won't tell you the plot, but it is interesting.JJ ABrams had some creative i fluency on his film, and it shows. It is a little smarter than the usual Hollywood horror thriller.
    Was this the movie with the gals in a bunker?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Was this the movie with the gals in a bunker?
    Yes, there is a bunker, and a young woman, and John Goodman.

I can see JJ Abrams' hand in it because it is not clear who the young woman is to Goodman's character. Daughter? Girlfriend? What is his intent? This is a little more abstract than some films and in that it reminds me of tv's Lost.

Thread Information