Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    hoping to go see Jackie this weekend.
    Did you see Jackie? I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Did you see Jackie? I saw it a couple of weeks ago. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    Ok, youndidnt ask me, but--

I saw it on New Year's Eve. Overall, I thoght it was a snoozer compared to several of the other films pushed out at the last minute for the Oscar rush.

The sets and clothng were meticulous in representing the period. It is only about
    jack Kennedy's assasination and the days immediately following.

Now of course this is a dramatic producton, not a documentary, but I would think they tried to get the timeline of who said what reasonably right. Just about every minute of that time was documented.

It was interesting to see the various plans of President Kennedy's funeral and how Jackie Kennedy had a very firm idea of what should take place, and why that didnt happen.

Natalie Portman did a fine job copying Jackie Kennedy's speech and demeanor, but films that are essentially renactments when I know about the topic aren't very interesting to me.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 2-19-17 at 10:55pm.

I saw John Wick: Chp 2 last week. Tonight I'm seeing The Great Wall and have plans to see Lion this week as well. I finally saw La La Land a couple weeks ago and I even ordered the sheet music to play on my piano. First time I've actually bought sheet music in years, it's nice to learn something new.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Watched Arrival earlier today on DVD (from the library). Interesting but slightly confusing. Reminded me of the confusion I felt after watching Contact (Jodi Foster).

I was so confused at Arrival, too, Sandy.

Catherine, I'm so sorry--did not see your question about Jackie. We never did get out to see it, but thank you for reminding me--shouldn't it be showing up on Netflix pretty soon? I will look for it.

Got a Man Called Ove from the library and boy, we found it depressing, although appealing. Kitchen Stories was really depressing, too, and that's what it reminded me of. The part at the end of Kitchen Stories where he holds the horse's head and says, "why can't you get better" and they take horse away--agh--says it all about old age and end of life.

Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 is fun to watch!

I can't believe it is has 15 years since the first one and the movie is set at about 18 to 20 years later.

It has the original cast plus more actors.

You will love it!

DH and I watched "Arrival" this weekend. I had fairly high hopes for it. But when it was over, we looked at each other with a look of "What he heck??" I thought it was too confusing. Plus, I'm always needing things to be logical, and they weren't. (Like when the 2 were allowed to visit the alien without protection). Plus, the way they were trying to communicate with them with words was, well, kinda stupid.
    So......2 thumbs down here.

I watched "The Sea Inside" with Javier Bardem. Definitely not a feel-good movie, but it was pretty great. It's based on a true story about a guy in Spain who became a quadriplegic in a diving accident and lived for almost 28 years afterwards without being able to move anything but his head. He could breath on his own and talk. It's his struggle to be allowed to die with dignity. It's a beautifully filmed movie, with wonderful music and great acting. It's a tear-jerker, at least for me. If you're into beautiful, but sad movies, I would highly recommend this one. The only down side was that it had subtitles and they moved pretty quickly, so I couldn't always enjoy the cinematography, since I couldn't read that fast. Javier Bardem is one of my favorites.

A family member knew that the first time I tried Redbox, the disc I rented was screwed up. So they recorded it and I finally saw Unbroken.

Sorry to say, the book was so much better. Makes me happy that I saw a Heartbreak Ridge story, where he and some of the actual survivors were interviewed, taken to locations and telling their stories, rather then Eastwood's movie.
    I am hoping to see Going in Style, but afraid they will screw that up, like they did the In-laws as told to me by every family member that saw it, watch only the original).

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    "Fences".....Denzel Washington, Viola Davis. Setting is Pittsburgh in the 1950's. A welcome break from rapid fire screen shot action films of late. Most of the movie takes place inside or outside a Hill District row house......very familiar to me.
    It will give you a thing or two to think about. I caught myself evaluating the period correctness of the furniture, carpentry, vehicles and various gadgets in the background......all while paying attention to the storyline and plot. The only thing that distracted me was keeping track of the amount of gin in the bottle that got passed back and forth. It had a tendency to vary illogically. Go figure.
    OMG, just saw Fences last night after my son said it was his favorite out of all the Oscar nominated movies.. Genius. That script was pure genius. I was so moved, and Williamsmith, you are right--so refreshing. In my mind it was a refreshing break from the mindset that unless your relationships match the glossy photoshopped images in a magazine you should consider it a failure, blame the other person, and just walk away. Yeah, life is tough. Relationships are tough. Families are tough. But as Tom Hanks' character in A League of Their Own says: "The hard is what makes it great."

When I asked my son what it was about he said, "Life." I consider it a success that I raised a child who recognizes that in life "You have to take the crookeds with the straights."

Awesome. Awesome.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information