Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Williamsmith
    My wife has worked teaching autistic children for many years. She watches the show and appears to like it. I have watched it with her and I enjoy it for the entertainment that it is.

Enjoy the Good Doctor also. Only program DH and I watch together.

I watched two rather depressing movies in the last two days...I just probably switch over to comedy so I'm not two depressed before Christmas.
    Wind River
    Glass Castle
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri”

Watching this movie is like licking salt off the back of your hand, shooting tequila and biting into a wedge of lime. The characters are realistically complicated, the subject is dark and troubling and the acting is sharp and biting. It’s worth watching this movie just to experience the ending.

If life is a dark comedy...this movie reflects life. Imperfection.....constant dissonance, I found myself wanting the sharp or flat edges to resolve into major chords. It never did, but neither does life. This is not a typical Hollywood fantasy that wraps up neatly and somehow gets forgotten almost before you reach the exit.

This movie should get some awards for its acting, it’s screenplay and it’s disregard for box office formulas. I asked my wife if she liked it. She said, “I don’t know, yet.” That’s a compliment, I think.
    I am with your wife about this movie. It certainly had its strong points but I don’t think plot was one of them. There are better films made about the subject of redemption. Actually this director’s film In Bruges is about redemption and it is brilliant.This one missed the mark for me.

It’s interesting that you think it’s a dark comedy because I just did not get that tone from this. For me it kept trying to be a drama that doesn’t quite make it as compelling drama even though the violence is real and the Central incident that drives all the action is deeply disturbing. One professional critic even said this film kept trying to be Fargo reincarnated, and I never got that feeling from it.

We are talking here on the local film board about this Hollywood film’s treatment of small town Missouri as racist Hicksville. Doesn’t that treatment get tiresome? We certainly get tired of it, those who live here. Do moviegoers really want to see more racist small-town cops in Films of quality? That part was heavy-handed and ridiculous, although I understand it had to exist in order for the cop Dixon to redeem himself.

This film just did not hang together for me. One very distracting thing was the supreme beauty of the minor characters, girlfriends and wives. They belong in a different film not in the film where John Hawkes and Francis McDormand inhabit rural flyover country.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-10-17 at 10:32am.

I watched "Louder Than Bombs" on AMZN.

It was among Esquire Magazine's list of the best films of 2016. "Louder Than Bombs" was the third film directed by Norwegian film-maker Joachim Trier, and his first with English screen play. There were frequent flashbacks and dream sequences to get the viewer inside the headspaces of two brothers whose mother died two years previously. The mother role was performed amazingly by Isabelle Huppert. War and loss strikingly photographed, marital infidelity, teen-age angst, and the idylls of Nyack, NY.

Am binge watching second season of The Crown.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This film just did not hang together for me. One very distracting thing was the supreme beauty of the minor characters, girlfriends and wives. They belong in a different film not in the film where John Hawkes and Francis McDormand inhabit rural flyover country.
    I agree with some of the imperfections in the movie that you rightly highlight. And I understand the offensive nature of portraying rural Missourians as uneducated racist bafoons.

Yet, probably as a result of my profession, I found it to be more realism than hyperbole. I knew people who acted and spoke exactly like some of the ignorant characters in the movie. And the lead actress is reflective of the masculine qualities that abound in my rural corner of the world.

Yes, a certain amount of liberties were taken to make the film interesting especially since it seems to lack the cohesive plot that so many films concentrate on. But I think that was intentional and central to the message of the film. Life, is not neat, resolved and even handed in its outcomes. And personalities evolve as a result of that inequitable treatment lives inevitably are exposed to.

Its not a feel good, take a deep breath and smile movie as you exit the theatre. Its one in which you tilt your head sideways and ask yourself how you really feel about what was just portrayed. I think the lead actress.....what’s her name? I think she will receive recognition for a memorable performance. Not so much the men in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Am binge watching second season of The Crown.
    oh good! I havent watched the first season yet. It is on my list, along with the one about
    Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I watched "Louder Than Bombs" on AMZN.

It was among Esquire Magazine's list of the best films of 2016. "Louder Than Bombs" was the third film directed by Norwegian film-maker Joachim Trier, and his first with English screen play. There were frequent flashbacks and dream sequences to get the viewer inside the headspaces of two brothers whose mother died two years previously. The mother role was performed amazingly by Isabelle Huppert. War and loss strikingly photographed, marital infidelity, teen-age angst, and the idylls of Nyack, NY.
    I love Isabelle Huppert.
    Without knowing the plot of thos film, I wonder if it is like an Israeli film where a hisband learns of his wife's activities in the Middle East after she is dead, and there is dawning amazement at what she hid from him.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 12-10-17 at 11:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh good! I havent watched the first season yet. It is on my list, along with the one about
    Victoria.
    I think you will love it. I have been very eagerly anticipating release of second season.

Thread Information