Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Finding Your Roots is back on PBS. I always find genealogy shows fascinating, and this is one of the best.

Watched August: Osage County last night and was mesmerized by Meryl Streep's performance as the dysfunctional matriarch of her clan. I thought I was watching my evil step-mother as a child all over again.

I tried and rejected two highly reviewed tv productions last night.

"The Night Manager"--based on John LeCarre's book, this is a 7 part mini series. I think it is good, it just isnt for me. I found myself not caring about the main goal of the protagonist. But it is stylish, with settings all over the world: Spain, Switzerland, Egypt, etc.

"Confirmation"--a dramatization of the Anita Hill/Clarence Thomas hearings. I watched about 30 minites of it and abandoned it. Just didnt interest me, but I had been hopeful because I wanted to see Wendell Pierce in a big role. Loved that guy as Bunk in "The Wire."
    Last edited by iris lilies; 10-15-17 at 9:30am.

I will have to check outthe Anita Hill movie, as I remember that hearing vividly.

Just saw the Quiet Passion about Emily Dickenson. The photography was good but the story dragged a little. My friend queried possible agoraphobia as part of the problem. I am not a great fan of this poet but like some of her work. i would give it a 6 out of 10. Anyone else seen it?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Just saw the Quiet Passion about Emily Dickenson. The photography was good but the story dragged a little. My friend queried possible agoraphobia as part of the problem. I am not a great fan of this poet but like some of her work. i would give it a 6 out of 10. Anyone else seen it?
    I saw it and agree with your rating, it was not great.

Saw "Loving Vincent" - the beautiful hand-painted film about the end of Vincent Van Gogh's life, and the year afterwards. Engaging and visually unique and wonderful to watch.

I hope to see this as the reviews, as you, are speaking about its uniqueness and beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    Saw "Loving Vincent" - the beautiful hand-painted film about the end of Vincent Van Gogh's life, and the year afterwards. Engaging and visually unique and wonderful to watch.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Not a film per se, but just saw the documentary "Spielberg" about Steven Spielberg. It was really great. You forget about how many great movies he made, and the biopic also did a nice job of taking us through the journey from the commercial films like "Jaws" to the truly significant films like Schindler's List.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Not a film per se, but just saw the documentary "Spielberg" about Steven Spielberg. It was really great. You forget about how many great movies he made, and the biopic also did a nice job of taking us through the journey from the commercial films like "Jaws" to the truly significant films like Schindler's List.
    " Schindler's List" is a great film but it is still schmaltzy Spielberg. "A Beautiful Life" is truly beautiful, and also commercial but without the schmaltz.

This is all just my opinion, of course. I've got nothing against him, really, he just hasn't made a film on my top 20 list.

Thread Information