Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

I really liked "Babe," although it was a long time ago when I saw it. I've also been very intrigued by the trailers for “Shape of Water,” which looks like something I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We watched "The Lobster" on DVD today and it was one of the most bizarre films either of us had ever seen. I can't really say that we particularly enjoyed it, but it was interesting in that it explored themes about our society's attitude towards single people, and there was even a reference to the Heimlich maneuver, which reminded me of UA's thread on living solo.
    I saw The Lobster last year. Yes, strange! I liked it pretty much. It was on several critic’s list of top films of 2016. I love Colin Ferrell so much, love to see him in that kind of role which is different from the norm.

We watched Wind River this afternoon. Wow, what a powerful film. I regret missing it on the big screen. The scenery was amazing. I thought the scoring was good and I would bet it is nominated for its score.This is in my top 3 films of 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I really liked "Babe," although it was a long time ago when I saw it. I've also been very intrigued by the trailers for “Shape of Water,” which looks like something I would like.
    You may like it, it has a light tone despite the ponderous subject matter. The light aspects (song and dance of the 40’s) just was not my taste.

"The Florida Project" a movie about life in a motel near Disneyland, focused on several of the single moms and their kids. Although it got almost uniformly praised, I was put off by the kids' bratty behavior and constant cussing and middle-finger gestures. I know it's true to life in those down and out situations, and maybe my age is showing, but even though I have empathy for the little kids growing up there, it just wasn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "The Florida Project" a movie about life in a motel near Disneyland, focused on several of the single moms and their kids. Although it got almost uniformly praised, I was put off by the kids' bratty behavior and constant cussing and middle-finger gestures. I know it's true to life in those down and out situations, and maybe my age is showing, but even though I have empathy for the little kids growing up there, it just wasn't for me.
    This film is in my top 5 of the year. Granted, this was a weak year for me in films. But this one was fresh and unusual, and heavy on character/actors. Dafoe is getting nominations.

notice I posted above that people here would not like The Florida Project.

I think my top 5 of the year are (in no order)

The Florida Project

Lady Bird

Wind River

The Big sick

Three Billboards outside of Ebbing, Missouri

In reviewing this entire thread, I see Elle on my list of films for thIs year even thoighn it was released last year. So, I might include Elle on a top ten list. It was strange.

The classic, Inherit the Wind. A dramatization of the courtroom debate between Williams Jennings Bryant, the silver tonged orator and three time presidential candidate, vs. the famous lawyer Clarence Darrow (Spencer Tracy) in the Scopes Trial. Evolution vs. creationism. Great B+W but slightly dated. The topic is timeless.

STAR WARS people, what is missing here. I know it is part of a huge franchise now but really it hasn't always been. So i was very happy with the movie, fit into the larger story arc, it was hard to see Carrie Fisher since she died last year. Her daughter played a character also.

My daughter's fiancee hated it, said it was all about animal rights and feminism, I didn't really see if, one scene with a big eyed bird did stop Chebaca from eating its family member

I thought Star Wars was great. I think most of the hoopla is coming from white boys who don't appreciate THEIR fandom being taken over by women and brown/black guys.

It was funny, spiritual, farcical, sad, and breathtaking.

Yes, it was hard seeing Carrie Fisher, but also an unexpected delight.

Yppej
    The Zookeeper's Wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The Zookeeper's Wife.
    How did you like it? I read the book last year and was surprised by how slow it was. It seemed like a great story in the hands of a not so great storyteller, so I didn't really enjoy the book much at all.

Thread Information