Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

DH, BIL and I voted to watch either Moonlight or A Man Called Ove. We went with Moonlight. It was very good. Not sure if it was a Best Picture.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We saw A Man Called One and really liked it. It reminded me of Harold and Maude in that it was dark but sweet.

We just got back from seeing The Big Sick. Its a Judd Apatow film and is a very good romantic comedy. Its about a young comedian from a Muslim family who falls for a white girl.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We saw A Man Called One and really liked it. It reminded me of Harold and Maude in that it was dark but sweet.
    Are you sure about that title? Could you be talking about "A Man Called Ove"?

Yes. A Man called Ove. Spellcheck changed it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Yes. A Man called Ove. Spellcheck changed it for me.
    Either way, the guy was very solitary!

I watched Okja on Netflix and didn't feel it lived up to the hype.

The Keepers was very disturbing to us. Both DH and I were raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools. His brother made allegations of being molested by a priest. One of the priests had dinner with them every Saturday and played golf with his dad. His aunt is a nun who left the church 10 years ago due to frustrations over child abuse. I didn't expect to be shocked over a bad priest. I was very upset with the network of evil including police officers and doctors. The states attorney - a woman no less - angered me the most.
    I am well versed on how investigations are done, chain of evidence and record keeping. Mistakes can be made, record keeping can be sloppy but this was not the case here. I couldn't get it off my mind and ended up joining a facebook page that keeps the discussion going. Bless those women for all the work they are doing. I hope one day they get the answers they are looking for.

I tried to watch The Keepers, but did not make it very far. It was too disturbing and I can probably live with just knowing that similar things are more common than we've believed. It did look well done.

I am on a second re-watch of Detectorist.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I tried to watch The Keepers, but did not make it very far. It was too disturbing and I can probably live with just knowing that similar things are more common than we've believed. It did look well done.

I am on a second re-watch of Detectorist.
    Ah, The Detectorists! That will enforce your positive view of mankind. It os so charming a d funny!

I am not sure how"well done" The Keepers was. It certainly was slanted to show the dead woman was killed becUse of her knowledge about priestly sex shenanigans. I'm not sure I buy that.