Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    " Schindler's List" is a great film but it is still schmaltzy Spielberg. "A Beautiful Life" is truly beautiful, and also commercial but without the schmaltz.

This is all just my opinion, of course. I've got nothing against him, really, he just hasn't made a film on my top 20 list.
    A like both of those films, but Schindler's List reduced me to sobs, and, like Donald Trump, I don't cry . I just like that type of schmaltz. I cried buckets watching many schmaltzy, idealistic movie musicals: Camelot, Man of La Mancha, Carousel. Then there was Stella Dallas. I don't cry, but I sure cried then.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Within the past week I watched

Hero, a nice enough piece about an aging movie actor who is known for one role 40 years ago

Lady Bird, newly out in theaters. This has nothing to do with Lady ird Johnson.
    It is about a high school girl in the last year of high school and her dreams to leave her town, and her relationship with her mother. This is excellent! Soaroise Ronan and Laurie Metcalf star in it, both very talended Indie performers. Everyone will like this simple family story.

The Florida Project, about a 6 year old girl who lives with her mother in a cheap motel near Disneyworld. The girl runs free during the day, which is both exhilerating for the viewer and worrisome. The very small plot takes a loooooooooooong time to unfold. William Dafoe is super fine in this. This is heavy on character study and light in conventional plot.

most people here will not like The Florida Project, but I liked it very much.

The film getting tons of buzz here is Three Billboards in Ebbings, Missouri starring Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, and others including Peter Dinklage. It opens next week here.

It is only six weeks until the end of the year for Oscar films to be released. NOTHING has had the double whammy impact on me as last yearks brilliant Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea. But that is ok, it is not often that I get two deeply moving films back to back. Both immediately went on my top 20 list of favorite films. I had to knock off a couple, dont remember which ones.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 11-18-17 at 2:51pm.

Yppej
    A United Kingdom which is about love and power in Bechuanaland and Great Britain.

Went to the discount theater to see Battle of the Sexes, the film about Billie Jean King's tennis match with Bobby Riggs in 1974. Had no idea that 30 million people watched that match back then - a huge TV event.
    Emma Stone and Steve Carrell were very good, as always, but the big surprise to me was Sarah Silverman. I'm not a big fan of Sarah's comedy, but she can definitely act. Would like to see her in more roles.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I binged watched Big Little Lies, a television mini series.

High on style, low on substance. The writing was mediocre and no matter how it was presented (flashback style) there was nothing interesting about it other than the pretty film stars who David E. Kelley convinced to star in it.

It is based on Liane Moriarty's novel. I didnt read this novel but
    I read a similar one by this author, also told in flashback style. That must be her trademark.
    I've been away from Drama involving upper class for so long I appreciated the prettiness; the architecture, the natural scenery, the pretty people. It made me wonder what my life might have been like if I'd chosen X instead of Y. The flashback style is so intense that you don't know who died, let alone whodunit, 'til the last episode; I watched in every 2-3 weeks on "Girl's Nite" and I wavered between curious and impatient. Nicole Kidman's character was a nuanced portrayal of a battered wife, I think she did an excellent job.

I just watched "The Only Living Boy In New York". It got some terrible reviews but I loved it; I have to admit that just putting Jeff Bridges in it and setting it in NYC was probably my tipping point. It's a little film and the style includes a narrator ala Woody Allen; a little bit of personal drama done high class and understated. If Jerry Springer style hysteria seems like a reasonable response to familial upheaval and surprises, you're probably going to hate the understatement here, otherwise I'd recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    I've been away from Drama involving upper class for so long I appreciated the prettiness; the architecture, the natural scenery, the pretty people. It made me wonder what my life might have been like if I'd chosen X instead of Y. The flashback style is so intense that you don't know who died, let alone whodunit, 'til the last episode; I watched in every 2-3 weeks on "Girl's Nite" and I wavered between curious and impatient. Nicole Kidman's character was a nuanced portrayal of a battered wife, I think she did an excellent job.

I just watched "The Only Living Boy In New York". It got some terrible reviews but I loved it; I have to admit that just putting Jeff Bridges in it and setting it in NYC was probably my tipping point. It's a little film and the style includes a narrator ala Woody Allen; a little bit of personal drama done high class and understated. If Jerry Springer style hysteria seems like a reasonable response to familial upheaval and surprises, you're probably going to hate the understatement here, otherwise I'd recommend it.
    Yes, I agree Nicole Kidman was very good in this one, she was the best thing in it, and the scenery too.

Williamsmith
    Murder on The Orient Express.....me, the former detective, enjoyed the movie. Cinematography was as good as it gets. I would not be surprised if it was nominated for cinematography but it does not have enough universal appeal to a wide audience for any other awards....I don’t think.

Wonder.......was a cute film with a popular storyline.....will be enjoyed by many.

Our wonderful theatre with 25 cent classic movies showed Splendor in the Grass yesterday, so we played hooky and went to the movies.
    It was really fun seeing a movie I was obsessed with as a teenager after 46 years.
    It was also really fun seeing it on a big screen, rather than a black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    Murder on The Orient Express.....me, the former detective, enjoyed the movie. Cinematography was as good as it gets. I would not be surprised if it was nominated for cinematography but it does not have enough universal appeal to a wide audience for any other awards....I don’t think.

Wonder.......was a cute film with a popular storyline.....will be enjoyed by many.
    I debated seeing Wonder but too many reviewers said was too treacle~y.

Thread Information