Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I knew better but I watched "The Keepers" on Netflix. I knew I was going to have unresolved feelings. I knew it would expose an old wound and hatred for the Catholic Church. I knew that troubling feelings born out of the inability to fix absolute blame for an unsolved crime would cause a restlessness. I knew I would immediately know why things are like they are in this case and what the survivors are going through. I knew that this is just one of thousands of cases that were screwed up from the beginning and now some investigator is going to try to provide closure at the cost of his/her own comfort. I knew that "feeling" would come back. I knew it would be like "talking through a crack." "Does anybody hear.....does anybody care?"
    As an LEO, what do,you think of all of tha missing files from local police departments and lack of response from the FBI?

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    As an LEO, what do,you think of all of tha missing files from local police departments and lack of response from the FBI?
    My understanding based on watching the series and on no further research was that the only missing evidence was the letter presumably mailed after the Sisters murder. The producers didn't offer much to base that on except a postal service employee commenting on the markings on the outside of the envelope.

It is unfortunate that the letter appears to be missing, if only for the sake of the younger sister who turned it over to some detective without benefit of knowing what it's contents were. Surely, she will always wonder. You must remember that standards of criminal investigation in the late 1960s varied from excellence of policy to no guidelines at all depending on the department. Consider if you will that the most famous homicide in United States history, that of President John Kennedy, occurred just a few years earlier than the Sister and was botched immensely by numerous investigative agencies. So much so, that numerous ridiculous conspiracy theories have been difficult to lay to rest.

I would consider the letter to be of little potential as evidence and its disappearance only annoying due to its reflection on the department that failed to document chain of evidence and its preservation. The series appeared to make more of this than necessary.

Regarding the FBI files. I have never known the FBI to share information without the existence of a joint task force. It isnt clear to me that they even investigated the other homicide. I have been involved in the investigation of numerous cases where bodies have been found in one jurisdiction while evidence of the actual murder was developed pointing toward the homicide occurring in another jurisdiction. What sometimes develops is a disagreement as to who will commit resources and take responsibility for the case. Some agencies work better with each other and some have history's of poor cooperation.

Mistakes are made when people are more worried about their possible pending promotion or upcoming re election than they are about doing the little seemingly unimportant tasks properly or when they let arrogance replace professionalism. There are a few of these characters in this incident....not the least of which is the State' Attorney who dressed up and drove her sports car to the grave yard reveal just so she could look sparkling when the evidence that would " blow the lid off this case" was dug up. She was disappointed when the records were wet and had to be dried out. And then denied any knowledge of the photos of the young girls topless? I needed my clothespin for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post

Mistakes are made when people are more worried about their possible pending promotion or upcoming re election than they are about doing the little seemingly unimportant tasks properly or when they let arrogance replace professionalism. There are a few of these characters in this incident....not the least of which is the State' Attorney who dressed up and drove her sports car to the grave yard reveal just so she could look sparkling when the evidence that would " blow the lid off this case" was dug up. She was disappointed when the records were wet and had to be dried out. And then denied any knowledge of the photos of the young girls topless? I needed my clothespin for that one.
    We had the same reaction. Watching May, my husband kept muttering, "liar, liar, liar."

"Miss Sloane" Stars the always wonderful Jessica Chastain as a high-powered lobbyist. It's a realistic film on what it takes to actually get a bill passed in Congress - very different than how it's explained to elementary school students. Lots of twists and turns. Enjoyed it, definitely recommended.

DH and I watched "Land of Mine". It was about how after WW2 , young German POWs were forced to clear the western coast of Denmark of 1.5 million buried land mines.....(which is true). Something like 2,000 young men were sent (forced) to do this and nearly half lost their lives or body parts. It is a Danish film, with German being spoken. I understood some, but used English subtitles. It is about a small group of young German POWs who were to remove the mines from one area of the Danish coast. I've read that the British were in charge of this, but in the film, it was a Danish sargent and he was very hard on them, but began to have some empathy for them. It was a difficult film to watch and was depressing, but it was good. I never knew about this part in history. What a mess........all those landmines. I guess the Germans put them there, thinking that the allies might land there. It was filmed on that west coast of Denmark.

I told DH that "Miss Sloane" sounded like a good movie. He said "We saw that not too long ago." LOL! Talk about a bad short-term memory. hahaha
    DH and I seem to say a lot while we're watching a movie "Haven't we seen this one before?" I suppose that's an upside of a bad memory......you can watch the same movie several times and still be surprised at the ending.

Yppej
    "Loving" which I enjoyed.

"My Cousin Rachel" was nicely done. Nased on Daphne Du Mauier's novel.

"The Beguiled" with Colin Farrel and Nicole
    kidman. I am pretty fond of Farrell and like to watch him especially n costume dramas. This is about a group of young ladies and women in the civil war who are alone on an old plantation when a Northern Soldier appears, injured. It was pretty good.

in the next few weeks I am looking forward to seeing "The Big Sick," the romantic cmedy of this summer. Also plan to see a "The Hero," about a has-been actor and "Lady Macbeth". Maybe I will also see "Ghost Story" depending on reviews.

I"m way behind on movies since I sometimes don't even see 1/year. Hidden Figures! Fabulous film during which I cried several times at how these young women were treated. It's beyond my comprehension they were considered "less than".............

Picked up a DVD of a BBC production filmed in 2002, "Daniel Deronda." From the book by George Elliot depicting life in the upper classes in the 1870s. Bought the DVD for $2 at a sale and watched all 3 episodes/210 minutes during the heat wave here in Phoenix. Entertaining and another inexpensive/simple living day.
    I'm guessing this DVD may be available at libraries.

Thread Information