Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Sausage Party: an animated comedy just as smutty as you would think it is from the title. DH and I laughed. It was stupid and lightly entertaining, the first half anyway. By the last half I was kinda done.

It was stupid and lightly entertaining,
    Given that I never grew up from say, 7th grade, this movie hit the silly button.

DH and I watched "Murder in the First".......supposedly based on a true story about a man who spent way too much time in solitary confinement in Alcatraz around 1934. Kevin Bacon did some great acting. It wasn't a bad film......and interesting since it was based on a true story (supposedly). But later we did some research and it was ridiculously far from the story it was supposedly based on. So....it's an interesting story, but NOT based on much of any actual events.

Finally watched Manchester by the Sea. It brought up deep feelings of what it feels like to lose a brother and/or children and so it felt real to me in a way that many movies don't. Dark but I liked it.

"A quiet Passion"with Cynthia Nixon wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. It presents the life of Emily Dickinson. I think that people who really like her poetry will appreciate the film more then I did, because her poetry is interspersed throughout the film. But I found the mid 19th century dialogue stilted and it did not flow for a good cinematic experience.

"The Lovers" with Deborah Winger, about an older married couple who cheat on each other, was not much better but it was simple in concept and my hopes for it not as high as the film about Emily Dickenson, therefore I enjoyed it a bit more.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-28-17 at 9:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Finally watched Manchester by the Sea. It brought up deep feelings of what it feels like to lose a brother and/or children and so it felt real to me in a way that many movies don't. Dark but I liked it.
    I love that film so much! I have already watched it a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I love that film so much! I have already watched it a second time.
    We just it a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was absolutely great. DH and I debated our feelings about the ending, which I won't go into here. Overall, extremely well written, well acted, and well directed. Casey Affleck deserved that Oscar.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I need to get MBTS from the library.
    We are watching The Keepers on Netflix. It is unbelievably good. Truly, I have never seen anything this good about the world I grew up in the 60's and 70's, about the abuse of power, and about the life-changing nature of sexual abuse. I think if you are a survivor of any kind of abuse, this is an important series to watch. Again, I have never seen anything tell the truth this effectively about the kinds of things that happened to us as girls in the 60's and 70's.

We are watching The Keepers right now. It is decent.

Its interesting how those old priests carefully picked their victims. Not everyone would have suited their pirposes, keeping quiet about their actions.

We watched "Split", the new M. Night Shayamalan film. Excellent acting by James McAvoy, but the whole thing was too confusing to me. I loved his "The Sixth Sense", "The Village" and "Signs".......but "Lady in the Water" was bad, and now this. I'm not sure what he's trying to say anymore.

Thread Information