Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    We watched "Split", the new M. Night Shayamalan film. Excellent acting by James McAvoy, but the whole thing was too confusing to me. I loved his "The Sixth Sense", "The Village" and "Signs".......but "Lady in the Water" was bad, and now this. I'm not sure what he's trying to say anymore.
    "Split" was pretty dumb, there isnt much there to unpack. Probably M Night is a hack.

"Secret Agent" - a British TV program in 3 episodes based on a novel by Joseph Conrad. Set in the 1880s. Great acting and scenery with lots of plot twists and turns. Picked this up for $1 at a yard sale.
    Would definitely recommend - Too bad we don't have a virtual way to swap all of the movies and books we've owned and listed here!

Saw 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi.

While I realize that some of the actual events may have been heightened for dramatic effect, I was blown away by what I didn't realize: I didn't realize how long they were left high and dry and under multiple attacks throughout the night. I somehow thought it was one big attack.. and to that point, I didn't realize there were two separate attacks on two different buildings/compounds. It was a really compelling movie. (And of course it was GREAT fodder for my Hillary-hating DH)
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    "Secret Agent" - a British TV program in 3 episodes based on a novel by Joseph Conrad. Set in the 1880s. Great acting and scenery with lots of plot twists and turns. Picked this up for $1 at a yard sale.
    Would definitely recommend - Too bad we don't have a virtual way to swap all of the movies and books we've owned and listed here!
    There are CD/DVD swap sights, and I looked but I don't see it, I thought their used to be some sort of exchange forum here.

Williamsmith
    I knew better but I watched "The Keepers" on Netflix. I knew I was going to have unresolved feelings. I knew it would expose an old wound and hatred for the Catholic Church. I knew that troubling feelings born out of the inability to fix absolute blame for an unsolved crime would cause a restlessness. I knew I would immediately know why things are like they are in this case and what the survivors are going through. I knew that this is just one of thousands of cases that were screwed up from the beginning and now some investigator is going to try to provide closure at the cost of his/her own comfort. I knew that "feeling" would come back. I knew it would be like "talking through a crack." "Does anybody hear.....does anybody care?"

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    I knew better but I watched "The Keepers" on Netflix. I knew I was going to have unresolved feelings. I knew it would expose an old wound and hatred for the Catholic Church. I knew that troubling feelings born out of the inability to fix absolute blame for an unsolved crime would cause a restlessness. I knew I would immediately know why things are like they are in this case and what the survivors are going through. I knew that this is just one of thousands of cases that were screwed up from the beginning and now some investigator is going to try to provide closure at the cost of his/her own comfort. I knew that "feeling" would come back. I knew it would be like "talking through a crack." "Does anybody hear.....does anybody care?"
    William, I too watched this, and I had so many of the same reactions.
    I did feel as though justice was being done just by some many people hearing their stories, and by witnessing the bravery of women like Jean. I also loved that almost everyone we hear from is over 60--they are important voices, and too often people who are past 50 in our culture are written off and not heard. Since these women were silenced before, just as I was silenced in my own life as a survivor, I loved that they are speaking now, and fighting back.
    The young people of my children's generation need to know what this was like, to grow up in this culture. And I am not talking about just the Catholic Church here.

William, from your vantagepoint as LE, who do you think killed Sister Cathy? Was it tied in to her coming forward about the abuse of the girls at the school?

Williamsmith
    When I retired, I had a similar unsolved homicide I was working on. When I say similar I mean in that the case was so old the original investigators were mostly retired or had moved out of the area. There were over 680 pieces of individual evidence that had to be examined in light of new DNA technology. Scene security at the place of discovery had been compromised. The forensic pathologist and medical examiner had both made statements based on assumption that I exposed as completely erroneous. I paid a huge professional price for this. The list of suspects was a mile long and many wild goose chases had been participated. The report itself had been scattered here and there and scene photos misplaced.

My gospel according to me was, "Never create a theory and look for supporting evidence." You must always work simply one item at a time, and let it lead you where it leads you. Doing that, I identified that actor but the District Attorney would not authorize the arrest. Mostly due to a witness that had credibility issues.

Recently, the actor died. Two more witnesses came forward after his death and corroborated all I had developed. The current investigators met me at a local restaraunt to tell me and celebrate. I was satisfied but still left empty for the fact that Justice was never achieved for the victim.

Without knowing every detail of the Sisters case....I cannot decide. I am left wanting more information and I must say the unresolved nature of the investigation troubles me as I am sure it does the current investigator. The guilt of the Catholic Church over their enabling of predatory pedophilia is great. In a way Catholicism killed Cathy and she was looking for a way out. I do believe someone was about to be exposed.

The current investigtor has a look about him of determination. I think he will move the case forward.

When I retired, I had a similar unsolved homicide I was working on. When I say similar I mean in that the case was so old the original investigators were mostly retired or had moved out of the area. There were over 680 pieces of individual evidence that had to be examined in light of new DNA technology. Scene security at the place of discovery had been compromised. The forensic pathologist and medical examiner had both made statements based on assumption that I exposed as completely erroneous. I paid a huge professional price for this. The list of suspects was a mile long and many wild goose chases had been participated. The report itself had been scattered here and there and scene photos misplaced.

My gospel according to me was, "Never create a theory and look for supporting evidence." You must always work simply one item at a time, and let it lead you where it leads you. Doing that, I identified that actor but the District Attorney would not authorize the arrest. Mostly due to a witness that had credibility issues.

Recently, the actor died. Two more witnesses came forward after his death and corroborated all I had developed. The current investigators met me at a local restaraunt to tell me and celebrate. I was satisfied but still left empty for the fact that Justice was never achieved for the victim.

Without knowing every detail of the Sisters case....I cannot decide. I am left wanting more information and I must say the unresolved nature of the investigation troubles me as I am sure it does the current investigator. The guilt of the Catholic Church over their enabling of predatory pedophilia is great. In a way Catholicism killed Cathy and she was looking for a way out. I do believe someone was about to be exposed.

The current investigtor has a look about him of determination. I think he will move the case forward.
    Thank you, this makes me hopeful for invigoration of the investigation. I really appreciate the explanation of the method--"You must always work simply one item at a time, and let it lead you where it leads you."
    Words to ponder!

On a lighter note, DH, DD and I went and saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tells Sunday evening. It was a bit long, but we enjoyed it. The story centers on Will and Elizabeth's son and a young lady who is an astronomer and horologist who work together to break all of the curses of the sea. Far-fetched, of course, but they all are! Got to see how Captain Jack got his start, too. Lots of little details filled in.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thread Information