Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: 2017 what films are you watching?

The latest season of Game of Thrones came up in my Netflix DVD list. What a production! I watched it once, them again with the commentaries. Some of the dazzling scenes were surprisingly shot in camera, but there was also a share of digital enhancement and computerized graphics. And of course the twists of plot.

I'm trying to savor Season 2 The Crown. I've watched 3 episodes so far. I absolutely adore it.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Saw "Marshall" about Thurgood Marshall. Didn't realize the lead actor had also portrayed Jackie Robinson in another bio pic. Wonderful job.

Last night I rented Heading South. It is a French-Canadian film about a trio of white, late-middle aged women who go to Haiti in the late 1970s for "tourism" with the young men there.

The film tackles some pretty big social issues, like racism, colonialism, capitalism, etc.

The film also has a hint of documentary style, great character sketches, and compelling cinematography.

I strongly suggest you see it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Last night I rented Heading South. It is a French-Canadian film about a trio of white, late-middle aged women who go to Haiti in the late 1970s for "tourism" with the young men there.

The film tackles some pretty big social issues, like racism, colonialism, capitalism, etc.

The film also has a hint of documentary style, great character sketches, and compelling cinematography.

I strongly suggest you see it!
    I saw that, it was interesting. “Paradise love” is a later film on the same topic. It is a German film about European women who go to Kenya for sex vacations. Being German, it is more stark and real. I preferred the film you saw as it was softer and more of a drama, but I liked the shock value of the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I saw that, it was interesting. “Paradise love” is a later film on the same topic. It is a German film about European women who go to Kenya for sex vacations. Being German, it is more stark and real. I preferred the film you saw as it was softer and more of a drama, but I liked the shock value of the second one.
    I saw Paradise Love too, about a year ago. I really thought it was good, but not as powerful as Heading South. I would suggest seeing then both.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    We rented from Netflix the 2015 film Trumbo. Watched it last night. Oh my! BEST film we've seen in a couple of years. Powerful, timely and amazing acting. A high recommend.
    peaceful, easy feeling

I saw the “Shape of Water” yesterday. It is a fantasy by Guillermo Del Toro. It was somehwat o.k., I would givie it a 3 or 3.5 out of 5 stars.It is about a mute woman who falls in love with a merman. It is plot driven with bad guys who are really bad and good guys who are really good and a theme of racial superiority. I found it predictible. Too bad, because
    I was really looking forward to this one.

The only two I am looking forward to now are “I Tonya” about Tonya Harding, the Ice Skater, and “Say my Name,” a gay love story.

This year has been crap for the kind of films I like. The standouts I have seen are “Lady Bird” about a high school girl and “The Big Sick “ about a young couple who dont know each other well when she has a sudden, life threatening illness. This last one is based on a true story.

We watched "The Lobster" on DVD today and it was one of the most bizarre films either of us had ever seen. I can't really say that we particularly enjoyed it, but it was interesting in that it explored themes about our society's attitude towards single people, and there was even a reference to the Heimlich maneuver, which reminded me of UA's thread on living solo.

Yppej
    "Babe" about a pig.

Thread Information