Thread: tipping when you pick up food

tipping when you pick up food

I am wondering about this. I ordered some food from a local restaurant and it had a tipping button. I gave a minimal amount, I am not sure how the staff is paid there. But I generally tip a solid 20% for delivery or in the restaurant. I want to make sure that the hostesses get paid well, maybe they get a better hourly than servers? Thank you!

It all depends on the restaurant when there is no "wait staff" involved. The owner could keep it, distribute it around, have an arrangement with the hostess, etc. The only way to know is to ask the person serving you.

And restaurants differ on how they pay the staff filling the pick-up orders. Some keep them at wait staff wages, which are usually below minimum wage, so the staff are hoping for tips. And some pay the staff minimum wage, because they don't know if customers will tip.

A greek deli I go to you order at the counter, they give you a buzzer, you pick up your order, you fill your glass, you put your dirty plates in the tub. Still they always ask if you want to tip. For what?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I am wondering about this. I ordered some food from a local restaurant and it had a tipping button. I gave a minimal amount, I am not sure how the staff is paid there. But I generally tip a solid 20% for delivery or in the restaurant. I want to make sure that the hostesses get paid well, maybe they get a better hourly than servers? Thank you!
    Not sure if this would meet the requirement as a "tipped employee."
    https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/wages/wagestips

Thread Information