Thread: 5 a DAY for Jan.2017

5 a DAY for Jan.2017

This one always helps me clean out more so I am starting it for Jan. 2017
    --1 makeup sponge...really yucky
    --1 eye glass cloth..not working anymore
    --1 large handful of Christmas Cards ..the scraps after cutting up into next years Christmas gift tags.
    --1 large bag of stale Candy Canes....not sure how many years old...lol
    --4 Nail Polish...really old ...bad colours
    --1 Book..read and put to charity box
    Total 9

Jan 1 I cleaned out the fridge. Several pounds of untouched leftovers and some fruit and veggies and a gallon of milk that went bad. Feel horrible when food is wasted but this is the 2nd pineapple and 2nd cauliflower that I've had to toss in the last month. Which means I'm buying too much again and time to cut back.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I'm determined to tackle the cellar again this year.
    A bunch of broken glassware to make mosaics with - well that would be nice if I made mosaics but I don't. I'm sure if I ever start I can break more glassware. That part is easy.
    And freaking wine corks! I was doing a little project with wine corks and all these well-intentioned people bestowed their cork stashes on me.
    I also have lots of really nice crap down there. It would be easy if it was crappy crap. I have a beautiful cranberry glass pitcher - I know a lot of people collect cranberry glass, but I'm not one of them. A vintage bean pot - Mom said everyone should have one when she gave it to me, so I have one, but I don't eat beans. A lovely ornamental bottle with a spout for making "Stoli-Doli" - pineapple-infused vodka, which we did once in the early nineties, if I recall correctly.
    I filled three trash bags with shredded paper and miscellaneous crap - I'm also doing my annual file purging, and I filled a bag and two boxes for the Salvation Army. I'm going to try to focus on one set of shelves at a time, since the cellar as a whole is a bit daunting.

Rosarugosa, I'm not sure from your post if the "nice" things, that you don't use but mentioned specifically, are among the things you put into the boxes for the Salvation Army. If not, might I suggest that you identify an up-scale thrift shop for donation? For example, where I live that would be the Cancer Society's shop. People go there specifically for unusual and one-of-a-kind gifts. And maybe you're like me- if it's going for a specific purpose, it's easier to let it go.

Jan 02
    --3 old calendars and not just 2016,,,lol
    --1 old day planner
    --3 catalogues...recycle
    --1 baggie full of outdated coupons
    --1 baggie of all the bits and pieces from the "Christmas Crackers" no use putting them in a drawer
    to throw out next summer...lol...and, they are on my list of things to never buy again they were fun when
    the kids were young but, no one seems to enjoy them except me of course....so on less expense this Christmas
    Total to date 18

Mschrisgo2: I don't think we have anything quite like that, but our town senior center has a little shop that is probably the closest thing. That might be a good place for some of these harder to let go items.
    Danna: I actually save my calendars deliberately, because for many things they are the only record I have of when something happened and I do find myself referring back to them. I have about 10 years of them.
    Dsis wants to know if I'm getting rid of "anything good," and I told her she could go through the boxes before they leave the premises. Now I need to check to make sure there's nothing in them from her that would hurt her feelings!

Jan 08 Rosarugosa I do put all the dates of interest on a spreadsheet for each year I had not kept up
    so that is why I had 3 calendars to toss....lol....NOT a perfect plan because I have loss some older years
    when a computer died on me....
    --3 bunches of kitchen cutlery total mismatches bought (not sure why at yard sales)
    into charity box
    --2 more catalogues
    --2 really ugly drawer liners
    total to date 25

I got motivated to clean out my drawer with tablecloths etc and decided I only needed 4. Then it lead me to my walk in closet and before I knew it I had a car full again. Even though I rarely shop anymore it still seems like I always have stuff to get rid of. It all started with me buying a one cup coffeemaker and the old one still works. Then I decided I did not want to make a trip to the thrift store for only 1 object. One thing lead to another in a good way. I have about 20 Hummels and did not want to give them to a thrift store. I found a rescue group for Huskies that is able to sell them in their thrift store and all the $ goes to rescue work. So decided I will donate many to them and keep a few special ones.

Our attorney sent home a large sturdy canvas bag full of papers, hard copies of our newly drafted trust and will (yay for us for finally cmpleting this!) I usually bitch and moan about being stuck with another bag, but this one is so very sturdy! and it has her name and cntact info on it. We will keep all of our estate records in it. It might even become a bug-out bag for household, monetary, and personal ID information. Anyway.

Buried at the bottom of the bag were two coffe mugs. Umm, no thank you. The coffe mug giveaways are as bad as the bags and t-shirts that come into my house uninvited. I will be returning these mugs to her office.

Thread Information