Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: electric kettles?

(I had a microwave for a couple of years. I rarely used it, and it took up precious counter space, so I passed it along to the SO. I'm not really a fan of those.)

I second Zoe Girl's recommendation of a thermos. I have a 48 oz. carafe thermos with a handle and spout that I love. Yesterday, I made a big pot of cardamom chai and had it with me here at the "Command Center," where it kept the tea flowing for some time. I might invest in an electric kettle, just for the portability. It seems like a useful item to me.

The reason I like a kettle instead of the stove is because then I can walk away and not worry about getting distracted. A lot of the reason I love the rice cooker and crockpot. If you don't tend to walk away and get distracted that is great, but having the water run out of a pan a couple times led me to believe I was a person who needs a kettle (and I use it twice a day all the time).

I have a Dualit retro-stlyed electric kettle and toaster in a cream colour. The kettle boils very quickly. I buy Dualit because they are still manufactured in the UK and the quality is high. Mark you, that is reflected in the price!

I used to buy other British brands, but nowadays they are all manufactured in China and the quality is very poor.

I think most UK houses have an electric kettle, even those with Aga or Raeburn ranges!

https://www.dualit.com/products/kettles
    Last edited by IshbelRobertson; 1-4-17 at 5:12pm. Reason: Typo

I remember the first time I visited my partner's family in the US I was shocked they didn't have a kettle. Like Ishbel said, most houses have them here, I couldn't live without mine and it is easily the most used thing in my kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Yes I have a microwave. For one cup, its marginally faster. For amounts larger than one cup, the kettle is faster.
    Hunh. I guess we never make hot drinks at the same time.

Our microwave oven is used at minimum 5 times daily. Wouldn't want to live without it.

I love my kettle. I love that I cannot boil it dry, that it heats water faster and that I can make a cup of tea by pouring the boiling water over the tea rather than by dangling a tea bag in hot water. I have pushed them on my family and I am not so sure they all love them but I am very happy with the one that lives on my counter. The kitchen is tiny, and things have to be critical to my well being to be allocated counter space. The kettle counts!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hunh. I guess we never make hot drinks at the same time.

Our microwave oven is used at minimum 5 times daily. Wouldn't want to live without it.
    That's the way I feel about my Instant Pot. I use it several times a week, without fail. Today, J cooked a hamburger steak and green beans. Yesterday, I infused cardamom tea. The day before, it was soft-cooked eggs.

I find that the shorter heat waves of microwaved food/beverage do not stay hot as long as the longer waves of more traditional cooking. Some things this doesn't matter, but for beverages I am going to sip slowly I prefer non microwaved.

I drink herbal tea throughout the day and am glad to have an electric kettle. I went to Vietnam a couple years ago and so appreciated that the room we stayed in had a electric kettle as well.

I caved and bought one on amazon today. Who knew there were so many different ones though?

Thread Information