Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are you reading 2017?

I can usually delve into a little heavier reading during long quiet winter evenings. I just finished Sea Wolf, the old Jack London classic. A rollicking tale of adventure among the seal hunters on the open seas. A bit of vintage forgotten history, a philosophical lesson hidden in the plot, and plain fun reading. I'm currently on The Invention of Nature, a historical account of Alexander von Humboldt. There are many landmarks named Humboldt everywhere and I had never known of the origin. Now I know that most of them are probably named for the famous German explorer and naturalist. It's not a tedious read and the cover names it as one of the NYT best books of 2015.

Very cool! For some reason I have been thinking of revisiting a Jack London book or two.

But now I am in the midst of reading the Hebrew Bible and classes are about to start. So I will likely be leafing through those pages...

I'm not sure the reason but reading two autobiographies of "strong" women - Gloria Steinem and Jane Fonda. Maybe just cause they were in the large print section at the library but interesting to recall the 70s and all that went on then.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I'm not sure the reason but reading two autobiographies of "strong" women - Gloria Steinem and Jane Fonda. Maybe just cause they were in the large print section at the library but interesting to recall the 70s and all that went on then.
    I just read a biography of another strong woman: Dorothy Day, written by her granddaughter, Kate Hennessy. Loved it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

OK, I'm not doing anything nearly as highbrow as you guys, but I will share nevertheless. I'm reading two books:
    The Maid's Version - Daniel Woodrell (he wrote Winter's Bone, which I loved). It's pretty bleak and dismal, and I'm having trouble getting into it, although I'm about half way through it.
    Nothing to Lose - Lee Child (A Jack Reacher novel) - pure entertainment! A testosterone-laden, action-packed book of suspense and adventure, with a hero who is a tough, no-nonsense, manly man, cooler than cool, the ultimate simple liver who throws his clothing away rather than being burdened by such menial considerations as laundry. Totally succeeds as escapist fiction on the commute home after a long day at the office.

Just finished a wonderful Peter Taylor novella, A Woman of Means.

Recently read Ian McEwan's Nutshell. Excellent, hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Recently read Ian McEwan's Nutshell. Excellent, hilarious.
    loved this book

I am reading Andy Cohen's 3 books, complete campy trash but I don't care. They make the hours sitting in the hospital with my dad fly by.

Reading the second "Outlander", "Dragonfly in Amber."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane which is a children's book about a toy rabbit. I loved it.

i am reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry right now, a British novel.

Thread Information