Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

Thanks for the review, Gardenarian. I'm in queue for the ebook at my library. I'm ready for a well-written mystery.

I got a new batch of library books since next weekend is a long one.

More Than Just Making It: Hope for the Heart of the Financially Frustrated should have some frugal tips.

Radio Free Vermont, a novel by Bill McKibbin.

Sherman Alexie's memoir You Don't Have to Say You Love Me.

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.

Two travelogue books of less interest but I will see if they strike my fancy - White Mountain:
    A Cultural Adventure Through the Himalayas
    and Happiness to Meet You: Foolishly, Blissfully Stranded in Vietnam.

And someone lent me Not Under Forty by Willa Cather.

Masochist that I am, I'm listening to the audible download of Insane Clown President, by Matt Taibbi. It's a collection of his dispatches from the election trenches. It's well written, well narrated, and very, very depressing.

Thunderstruck, by Erik Larsen.
    Also listening to the audiobook late at night.

I am reading Gertrude by Hermann Hesse.

Seems like a good book so far. I have become a rather big fan of Hesse over the past year or two.

Thought I'd like to read a sci-fi space adventure next -- something lighter emotionally.
    I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand." -- Rodney Dangerfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    For about four years in the 1980's I lived just few miles downwind of Rocky Flats. I always had the feeling that by then much of the radioactive emissions were under control by then and maybe the plant was winding down, but now I may have to check the book out to see. I'd not heard of it.
    I grew up in city center Denver, so not next door, but close enough that when I was in high school I had friends who went to protest the place. Just checked and the library here has 2 copies, both of which are currently checked out. It's now reserved so I'm looking forward to it. At least as much as one can look forward to such a book.

As for what I've recently finished reading, probably the most interesting was Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. I've long thought I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail from one end to the other. And then I learned that there's a similar trail here on the west coast from the Mexico boarder in California to the Canada border in Washington. It appears to be a much more intense, and less done, trail. Tucked away in my bucket list is hiking it once I retire but before i get too old and decrepit to manage such a challenge.

JP, the book Wild was my first "trail book". It inspired my friend to start doing the Appalachian Trail-she's done all of PA, MD, WV and is trying to figure out how to do VA- which is over 500 miles. I just read the Appalachian Trail books.