Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

I am reading Orphan #8 by Kim Van Alkemade. It's a novel based on true events, disturbing but hard to put down.

The Plot to Hack America, by Malcolm Nance.
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 7-20-17 at 12:49pm.

Not normally a history buff but just started reading a fascinating book called The Best Land Under Heaven about the Donner-Reed trek from Missouri to California in the 1800s.

Thomas Jefferson and the Tripoli Pirates - Brian Kilmeade

Flipping among:

This Life is in Your Hands: One Dream, Sixty Acres, and a Family Undone. A memoir by Eliot Coleman's daughter--Eliot Coleman is/was a disciple of the Nearings whose 3 year old daughter drowned in a pond on their property.

The Art of Living by Thich Naht Hanh.

Touch by Courtney Maum (fiction)

Spiritual Ecology: 10 Practices to Reawaken the Sacred in Everyday Life by Llewellyn Vaughn-Lee.

Having a month off is so awesome!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Finished "All the Light We Cannot See." Historical fiction by Anthony Doerr, and a Pulitzer Price winner and NY Times #1 bestseller.
    Loved it, so beautifully written and also educational like the best historical novels are. Set in Europe in WWII. One reviewer said it "moves with the pace of a thriller" which is a good description.

Handbook for Flower Shows, 2007 edition.

I have a big test in 4 weeks which, if I pass, will signal the end of my "student judge" status and I will be an accredited National Flower Show judge.

Along the same lines, I am skimming a few chapter in the Iris Judges's handbook because I am taking a 5 hour class on Saturday toward judges' accredidation in Iris judging.

For fun reading I am, inspired by my trip to Transylvania, reading two books about gypsy culture.

Exploring Gypsiness: Power, Exchange and Interdependence in a Transylvanian Village

And

American Gypsy:a memoir.

The first is an academic ethnography and is a bit dry but it also
    has interesting observations about how gypsies do and do not integrate with their Romanian fellows in a specific village.

The second one is a self published biography about a Russian family of gypsy musicians who relocated to the United States. The author, a daughter in the family, is both proud and annoyed at the behavior of her parents that is stereotypical of their culture.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-27-17 at 12:39pm.

The Wandering Gene and the Indian Princess traces the cancer gene BRCA, handed down for hundreds of years within the Jewish population until it surfaces in New Mexico's Hispano community. It weaves several threads that interest me--genealogy, Spanish-American history, crypto-judaism, DNA science--into one complex story line.

I'm also reading a lot of fiction, mysteries mostly--thanks to BookBub and my Kindle app--because they're entertaining and don't require much thought. I haven't read this much fiction in years.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The Wandering Gene and the Indian Princess traces the cancer gene BRCA, handed down for hundreds of years within the Jewish population until it surfaces in New Mexico's Hispano community. It weaves several threads that interest me--genealogy, Spanish-American history, crypto-judaism, DNA science--into one complex story line.

I'm also reading a lot of fiction, mysteries mostly--thanks to BookBub and my Kindle app--because they're entertaining and don't require much thought. I haven't read this much fiction in years.
    And that fiction is making you a better person, isnt it? Haha, just kidding.

I am a Louise Penny fan and her latest, Glass Houses, is both a very good mystery with the familiar characters and a good insight to the complexity and challenges in dealing with the opioid crisis.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information