Thread: Best romantic comedies?

Best romantic comedies?

I humbly ask for your suggestions for best romantic comedies both foreign and domestic. Thanks!

The Big Sick is this year’s best Rom com. It is about a stand up comedian who starts dating a girl from another culture. She becomes very sick, life threatening, and he hangs around throughout her hospitalization, helping her parents and learning much about himself. Based on a true story.

My favorites:
    When Harry Met Sally (I LOVE that movie!)

Overboard (Gee, I don't know which of these two I like more. I could watch Overboard every day. In fact, I think I like Overboard even more than When Harry Met Sally. It appeals to my romanticism of living a simple life with a bunch of unruly kids, and the ability to change your heart. I quoted this movie just last night, to the family when recalling a fall when my husband was out of town for 3 months, and I had to take my son in to NYC for rehearsal for a play every night. My two oldest boys--about 12 and 14 at the time--were left alone. So I always laugh when I remember the scene in Overboard when the stuffy principal makes a home visit and says to single dad Kurt Russell, the dad, "Mr. Proffitt, your children are severely lacking in parental supervision!" And he replies, "Hey, you don't have to tell me my kids are lucky!")

Groundhog Day (Another one I could watch every day.. gee, almost like in Groundhog Day!)

Runners-Up
    Love Actually (good one for Christmas season)
    Roxanne (Really funny. Steve Martin at his best.
    The Princess Bride
    Last edited by catherine; 12-24-17 at 8:28am.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Not exactly my venue, but I could watch Ground Hog Day again for sure. And Midnight in Paris. The only classic I can recall would be Bringing Up Baby. Katherine Hepburn is priceless beyond time. Most of the modern romance movies are a little too sappy for my taste. I’m not sure if Lars and the Real Girl qualifies as a romantic comedy or just a comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Not exactly my venue, but I could watch Ground Hog Day again for sure. And Midnight in Paris. The only classic I can recall would be Bringing Up Baby. Katherine Hepburn is priceless beyond time. Most of the modern romance movies are a little too sappy for my taste. I’m not sure if Lars and the Real Girl qualifies as a romantic comedy or just a comedy.
    oh, Lars! I love that film!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    oh, Lars! I love that film!
    Me too!

I like Amelie, not sure if it is a traditional romantic comedy. I am also a sucker for The Prince and Me,

Thread Information