Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

White Trash by Nancy Isenberg, Authentic Mexican (a cookbook). by Rick Bayless, and Dark Matter, a suspense novel that seems to involve time travel, by Blake Crouch. Dark Matter is winning the competition. White Trash is interesting enough--starting from the early days of the Republic--but dense. White Trash and Dark Matter are library downloads, so I had better get crackin'.

I also just invested in Todd Oldham's two Charley Harper books, volumes of his art: An Illustrated Life and Animal Kingdom. Love his elegant, minimalist style. (One of the rare occasions where minimalism really appeals to me.) Such economy of line!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Was that hard on your relative, Lainey? I was on a traffic accident liability jury and I hated it--another juror and I were so glad not to be on a murder case.
    The few things they told me were most difficult were a) the amount of graphic sexual texts and photos, even though this person is not at all squeamish; b) the length of the trial, which was over 5 months long; and c) the inability to watch or read any news, and certainly not discuss anything about the trial, for that amount of time, until all the jurors were allowed to deliberate. It's hard to process all of that awfulness by yourself for months on end.

Just finished the non-fiction book "The Great Depression, A Diary." Unusual because it's a middle class professional first-person recording of his and others' experiences during the Depression.
    The blurb by Jonathan Alter said it best: "We imagine the Great Depression at two extremes - Franklin Roosevelt's jaunty smile and the haunting images of Dustbowl destitution. But in between were everyday middle-class strivers like Benjamin Roth, trying to sort through the wreckage...Roth's incisive diaries...speak to our economic hopes and fears directly, and to the bewilderment of our own time." Published in 2009 with some editorial notes, and very apt for the Great Recession time period.

Two questions keep echoing as he records year after year: "What caused this?" and "When is this going to end?" Lots of discussion about the gold standard. One interesting entry: April 5, 1933 The "gold" question comes to the front again. President Roosevelt issues an order forbidding any person to hold more than $100 in gold or gold certificates. Any amount above this must be taken to Federal Reserve Banks." !

A combination of a policy wonk and a first-hand observer of the impact of this economic crisis. No need to read every page but good for skimming through.

Thanks to all who recommended Hillbilly Elegy. I just finished it and thought it was great. It gave me much food for thought on the forces that shape the people we become.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Thanks to all who recommended Hillbilly Elegy. I just finished it and thought it was great. It gave me much food for thought on the forces that shape the people we become.
    It also made me feel more certain that so many problems that adults cause in the world would not be happening if somehow they could just go back and be "re-parented." And that I am going to continue my charitable giving towards causes helping children and seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post

I also just invested in Todd Oldham's two Charley Harper books, volumes of his art: An Illustrated Life and Animal Kingdom. Love his elegant, minimalist style. (One of the rare occasions where minimalism really appeals to me.) Such economy of line!
    Then if I were to give you a birthday present, I'd give you these dishes from Fishs Eddy--my favorite store for dinnerware and glassware (we have their classic checkerboard pattern, which is no longer available. I adore their whimsy!). Put a hint in your SOs ear!

http://www.fishseddy.com/dinnerware....gn_pattern=953
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Then if I were to give you a birthday present, I'd give you these dishes from Fishs Eddy--my favorite store for dinnerware and glassware (we have their classic checkerboard pattern, which is no longer available. I adore their whimsy!). Put a hint in your SOs ear!

http://www.fishseddy.com/dinnerware....gn_pattern=953
    I have friends who regularly shop there--neat stuff!

Charley Harper was a local artist and acquaintance of my wife. Can you tell she is also a fan of his work?

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

More:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Charley Harper was a local artist and acquaintance of my wife. Can you tell she is also a fan of his work?
    Awesome! Would love to give a print of the fox one to my DD whose "spirit animal" is a fox (she's a redhead, and has a fox tattoo) Very cool art display, Alan!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information