Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

Thanks for the review, Gardenarian. I'm in queue for the ebook at my library. I'm ready for a well-written mystery.

Yppej
    I got a new batch of library books since next weekend is a long one.

More Than Just Making It: Hope for the Heart of the Financially Frustrated should have some frugal tips.

Radio Free Vermont, a novel by Bill McKibbin.

Sherman Alexie's memoir You Don't Have to Say You Love Me.

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI.

Two travelogue books of less interest but I will see if they strike my fancy - White Mountain:
    A Cultural Adventure Through the Himalayas
    and Happiness to Meet You: Foolishly, Blissfully Stranded in Vietnam.

And someone lent me Not Under Forty by Willa Cather.

Masochist that I am, I'm listening to the audible download of Insane Clown President, by Matt Taibbi. It's a collection of his dispatches from the election trenches. It's well written, well narrated, and very, very depressing.

Thunderstruck, by Erik Larsen.
    Also listening to the audiobook late at night.

I am reading Gertrude by Hermann Hesse.

Seems like a good book so far. I have become a rather big fan of Hesse over the past year or two.

Thought I'd like to read a sci-fi space adventure next -- something lighter emotionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    For about four years in the 1980's I lived just few miles downwind of Rocky Flats. I always had the feeling that by then much of the radioactive emissions were under control by then and maybe the plant was winding down, but now I may have to check the book out to see. I'd not heard of it.
    I grew up in city center Denver, so not next door, but close enough that when I was in high school I had friends who went to protest the place. Just checked and the library here has 2 copies, both of which are currently checked out. It's now reserved so I'm looking forward to it. At least as much as one can look forward to such a book.

As for what I've recently finished reading, probably the most interesting was Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed. I've long thought I would like to hike the Appalachian Trail from one end to the other. And then I learned that there's a similar trail here on the west coast from the Mexico boarder in California to the Canada border in Washington. It appears to be a much more intense, and less done, trail. Tucked away in my bucket list is hiking it once I retire but before i get too old and decrepit to manage such a challenge.

JP, the book Wild was my first "trail book". It inspired my friend to start doing the Appalachian Trail-she's done all of PA, MD, WV and is trying to figure out how to do VA- which is over 500 miles. I just read the Appalachian Trail books.

"The Best of Us" by Joyce Maynard. She's in her early 60s and had a late in life second marriage. Her husband was diagnosed with cancer about one year into the marriage. I've enjoyed her writing for years (both novels and earlier memoirs) and this is just as thoughtfully written and moving as her other works.
    Last edited by Lainey; 11-25-17 at 6:27pm. Reason: corrected the title

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - fiction, so good!
    Loved it and saw the movie

Thread Information