Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Tell me just a little more.
    I am only about a fifth of the way into the book but it is good so far, written by a reporter. It is about one arsonist.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Several of us here saw the film of this book and talked about it on the film board. It was a nice little film.
    I should definitely seek out the movie; thanks for mentioning it.

Buddhism a Beginners Guide

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I should definitely seek out the movie; thanks for mentioning it.
    I got the movie and it was subtitled.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Buddhism a Beginners Guide
    Interested. Who is the author? There are several books with that or similar title. I enjoyed this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Beginners-Gui.../dp/156455886X

I also like the ones on secular Buddhism by Stephen Batchelor, especially Buddhism Without Beliefs.

https://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-With...ithout+beliefs
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    I got the movie and it was subtitled.
    Yes. It is a Swedish film.

I just finished reading Reading With Patrick by Michelle Kuo. I could not put it down. Non fiction memoir/story of a teacher, the Delta, the children, lost in the horror of the South yet surviving.

I just finished listening to another escape from North Korea memoir--In Order to Live, and I'm in the middle of Full Body Burden, also a memoir, but about the infamous Rocky Flats nuclear plant. I'm ready for something uplifting--like a nice bloody mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I just finished listening to another escape from North Korea memoir--In Order to Live, and I'm in the middle of Full Body Burden, also a memoir, but about the infamous Rocky Flats nuclear plant. I'm ready for something uplifting--like a nice bloody mystery.
    For about four years in the 1980's I lived just few miles downwind of Rocky Flats. I always had the feeling that by then much of the radioactive emissions were under control by then and maybe the plant was winding down, but now I may have to check the book out to see. I'd not heard of it.

I am reading The Lost City of the Monkey God, which is a non-fiction adventure type book about modern archaeologists searching for a legendary lost civilization in the jungles of Honduras. It good.

"Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore" by Matthew Sullivan.

A somewhat literary suspense novel that takes place in Denver in the 1990s. The bookstore is actually The Tattered Cover, thinly disguised. Lots of landmarks for those who know Denver - El Chepultepec (dh played jazz there in the 80s) the gentrification of that area, building the stadium etc.

A little too gory for my taste, but convincing, likable characters, a fast paced plot, and lots of literary references made it hard to put down.

Thread Information