Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

This is such a great thread!

I am reading Candide -- never read it before, but I always wanted to. It is pretty good.

So I am on this kick where I am not reading things that are totally disturbing or depressing. I read all five books in the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy.
    Then I read another Hermann Hesse book.
    Now, Candide.

What book is next...?

I read 2-3 books per month, generally non-fiction.

Currently reading Evicted, by Matthew Desmond. Based on anecdotes about a landlord and various tenants (all fictionalized) in Milwaukee, as well as facts about the housing situation, Desmond makes the case that eviction is a cause of urban poverty, not just a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

Currently reading Evicted, by Matthew Desmond. Based on anecdotes about a landlord and various tenants (all fictionalized) in Milwaukee, as well as facts about the housing situation, Desmond makes the case that eviction is a cause of urban poverty, not just a feature.
    That is on my winter list to read. I like reading an occasional "social problems" book.

Just finished Dream Hoarders which is about class in America. The author is British and claims that class distinctions are now worse in America than Britain and cites many examples.

This thread is blooming! so many ideas and not enough time! We just read The Purple Hibiscus...beautiful writing, fast moving but way too dreary for me- abuse in Nigeria. The Alice Network about women spies in WW1- fictionalized but based an several true characters- was interesting, got a bit romance-like, but overall a good read. I also loved All the Light, Lainey, the second read was even better as I knew the plot. ( Both my book clubs read it several months apart and as I have the memory of a gnat I re read it. )

Yppej
    A $500 House in Detroit.

Hallelujah Anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I am a Louise Penny fan and her latest, Glass Houses, is both a very good mystery with the familiar characters and a good insight to the complexity and challenges in dealing with the opioid crisis.
    I'm also a Louise Penney fan, but her last 2 books seem to be a bit of an overreach for me, plot-wise. However I love her characters and learning about that part of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post

dado, I think you mean to say the tenants' real names were not used, but that otherwise their situations were true to life. A very powerful, well-documented and well-researched book. I think Desmond did a TED talk on this too. He also lived there for months while he researched it, and has said that after the book was published he went into a depression (almost like PTSD). It's still a very good read, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And that fiction is making you a better person, isnt it? Haha, just kidding.
    If by "better" you mean conversant with multiple methods of mayhem...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I'm not sure the reason but reading two autobiographies of "strong" women - Gloria Steinem and Jane Fonda. Maybe just cause they were in the large print section at the library but interesting to recall the 70s and all that went on then.
    I just read a biography of another strong woman: Dorothy Day, written by her granddaughter, Kate Hennessy. Loved it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information