Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenarian View Post
    Recently read Ian McEwan's Nutshell. Excellent, hilarious.
    loved this book

I am reading Andy Cohen's 3 books, complete campy trash but I don't care. They make the hours sitting in the hospital with my dad fly by.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane which is a children's book about a toy rabbit. I loved it.
    all of this author's children's books are great. We were obsessed with Because of Winn Dixie

Your Best Age Is Now, Robi Ludwig.

I guess I needed to be reassured that I still had a ways to go and time to do it in

I know it's an old one and most have you have already read it, but I'm starting with Rich Dad, Poor Dad this year...

Quote Originally Posted by freshstart View Post
    all of this author's children's books are great. We were obsessed with Because of Winn Dixie
    I havent read the Winn Dixie book but certainly I onow aboit it. now its on my list.thanks!

Now I'm reading a science fiction anthology from 2011 and a novel, China Dolls, by Lisa See.
    Thanks to BookBub, I've got an intimidating backlog.

Finished the Grammar of God that a friend suggested I might find interesting. I read it twice. Challenged by her views the first time and enjoying her way of writing the second. It certainly helped to understand the Judaic view of the Bible better especially since I rarely have opportunity to discuss such things with a person of that faith system.

From Amazon:
    Aviya Kushner grew up in a Hebrew-speaking family, reading the Bible in the original Hebrew and debating its meaning over the dinner table. She knew much of it by heart—and was therefore surprised when, while getting her MFA at the University of Iowa, she took the novelist Marilynne Robinson’s class on the Old Testament and discovered she barely recognized the text she thought she knew so well. From differences in the Ten Commandments to a less ambiguous reading of the creation story to a new emphasis on the topic of slavery, the English translation often felt like another book entirely from the one she had grown up with.

Another friend suggested "A Hidden Wholeness, the Journey toward an Undivided Life" by Parker J. Palmer. Again quite different for me to read but approaching life from the Quaker approach to building a supportive community. This is a new author for me but he has written a number of books. Certainly interesting reading!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I finished Madeleine Thein's Do Not Say We Have Nothing which just won a prestigious Canadian prize. I was so caught up in that book, a beautifully told and complex story that included stuff about the Chinese Cultural Revolution and the backlash and the subsequent protests and massacre at Tienanmen Square. I have to admit that if I read that sentence I just wrote about the book, I would NEVER have chosen it but it was a wonderful book, and I am learning to like books that call me out on my ignorance. So I read with Wikipedia in my other hand, looking for information about Mao and the civil war prior to his domination, and then coverage of the student protests, and also lots about music because music is a fundamental thread throughout the book. We will be discussing in my book group later this month, but in the meantime, I recommend it!

I can't figure out how to do this italics......

I'm reading an extremely cheap electronic edition of the complete works of Robert E. Howard. 1930s pulp fiction from the age before electronically assisted imagination. Lurid, violent fun.

Finished Zbinden's Progress by Christoph Simon.
    Am currently reading:
    Gaining Ground by Forrest Pritchard
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal

Thread Information