Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I'm reading an extremely cheap electronic edition of the complete works of Robert E. Howard. 1930s pulp fiction from the age before electronically assisted imagination. Lurid, violent fun.
    Ha. I read everything he wrote years ago. Great escapist fantasy pulp.

97 Orchard - a very interesting look at five immigrant families (German, Italian, etc) in NYC (1800s) and the food traditions they brought with them.

All the Light We Cannot See, by Anthony Doer (best fiction I have read in a long, long time)
    So, Anyway... , by John Cleese
    10% Happier, a book on mindfulness by ABC reporter Dan Harris
    The Book of Speculation, by Swyler
    Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right, by Hochschild (trying to understand what makes all my Trump voting Tea Party friends tick)
    Fighting God, by Silverman
    Liberal Redneck Manifesto: Draggin Dixie Outta the Dark, by Trae Crowder (who is about to get his own sitcom based on is comedy on Fox)
    "There are too many books in the world to read in a single lifetime; you have to draw the line somewhere." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale

Just finished The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Excellent, very involved mystery novel set in Barcelona just after the end of WWII. Also read The Mistletoe Murder by P.D. James, leant to my by a friend. It's a collection of 4 short stories the first of which is her own true experience. Now I'm just about to finish Livia Lone by Barry Eisler. It's about a girl who gets trafficed into America from Thailand and grows up to take revenge on her abusers. (Warning for those with a weak stomach; it's pretty graphic) I'm just about to dive into Speed Cleaning by Jeff Campbell, non fiction for a change. Anybody use his cleaning systme and care to comment?

I adored the Jeff Campbell speed cleaning system!! Fantastic, the house never looked better.
    I should revisit the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Ha. I read everything he wrote years ago. Great escapist fantasy pulp.
    One of the great things about cheap electronic publishing is that all kinds of weird, limited-interest stuff is available.

I recently finished Robbie Robertson's autobiography Testimony, and now I am aiming to finish Jack Canfield's The Success Principles, and re-read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now, and A New Earth.
    "...Just being ourselves is the biggest fear of humans. We have learned to live our life trying to satisfy other people's demands. We have learned to live by other people's points of view because of the fear of not being accepted and of not being good enough for someone else."
    - Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements (A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom)

Recently finished:
    Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance
    Rich Dad Poor Dad

Currently reading:
    Sapiens, a Brief History of Humakind, by Yuval Noah Harari
    "How to" bundle of books (How to Sit, How to Eat, How to Love, How to Walk, How to Relax), by Thich Nhat Hanh

Also reading Hop on Pop with my youngest.

TVR, "Sapiens" was one of the better books I read last year. It's a little speculative I thought, but thought provoking. I have wondered since how much of my behavior or of social behavior in general is programmed into our genetics and how much is truly free will.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane which is a children's book about a toy rabbit. I loved it.
    I read this with my kids last year and also loved it! Very touching.

Thread Information