Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading 2017?

I just finished "Open Cockpit", the accounts of a WWI biplane pilot who flew much of the war over the front lines on patrol. It is his own unpolished account, but gave a very good image of what it was like. I suppose all war is brutal, but WWI had it's own unique for of brutality.

At the moment I am reading Travels with Charley. It is interesting and enjoyable. But it does not feel groundbreaking or earth shattering.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Currently looking for a copy...

LOL

I just finished: Japan, A Cultural History. It was published at some point in the 1970s, so it is dated, but the photography is beautiful, as are the prints. I saw one of a Japanese woman with long hair riding an early bicycle...I am trying to find it online, but I may scan it. I love photos and art of people on bicycles. Bicycles make me think there's hope for the world!

Yppej
    The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. It has some good tips but other things I disagree with. For instance, I am not going to stop stocking up on items when they are on sale.

I recently read The Forgetting. It was light reading, a tale of reincarnation based on Dr. Ian Stevenson's work. Pretty believable scenario, if your mind goes there.

Read "The Rosie Project" It's an entertaining novel, easy to stop and start. Think of Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang in search of a wife ...

I am reading Straphanger about transportation without cars. Also looking forward to reading The Mandibles about an economic collapse in the near future and how one well to do family's comfortable life comes to a halt.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am reading Straphanger about transportation without cars. Also looking forward to reading The Mandibles about an economic collapse in the near future and how one well to do family's comfortable life comes to a halt.
    The Mandibles sounds like a good one but I hope it's not too near future.

Williamsmith
    I am 1/3 of the way through "The Fact of a Body" by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich. I would describe it as cathartic. It's really two stories in one book, alternating back and forth by chapters. One a memoir of growing up with a grandfather who molested her. The other about defending a child molester who murdered a six year old boy. The author , an attorney who is against the death penalty. I have to admit that it has stirred up emotions and challenged me intellectually. Met my expectations.....which is hard to do.

Thread Information