Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 day bug out bag challenge anyone?

3 day bug out bag challenge anyone?

So... I was thinking a "fun" and fairly easy challenge would be to live on the food in our bug out bags for a few days.

I know some folks stuff anything in there -- the old tin cans of peas or green beans or whatever they did not want to eat from their pantry or just a couple handfuls of Ramen. Some folks have astronaut food or freeze dried foil packs from REI or what-have-you.

I think a good test of whether or not the items in your BOB are worth eating and would even be comforting in an emergency would be to simply live off them for 3 days.

Would anyone be interested in this or something like it?

I just stocked the cupboards for feeling good and secure in case of a storm or power outage. I have been scanning the prepper forums. A good tip given is always eat from the stock pile and refill as needed, so none goes out of date. So you will be doing correct and a good learning experience too.

Love this idea UltraliteAngler. My wife and I actually just completed what we call "The Pantry Challenge." We ate only what was in our pantry/cupboard for 7 days- I believe our pantry is similar to your BOB. We had about 95% canned foods and the balance was boxed meals (I know, boxed pasta is cheating in the BOB). But the best parts of this challenge were that we ate in every night (saved at least one $30 family meal) and we didn't go to the grocery other than to buy food for our 2 children (saved about $70). So we reduced our expenses by $100 in 1 week. We'll probably work this into our routine at least once per quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by stopbeingdumb View Post
    Love this idea UltraliteAngler. My wife and I actually just completed what we call "The Pantry Challenge." We ate only what was in our pantry/cupboard for 7 days- I believe our pantry is similar to your BOB. We had about 95% canned foods and the balance was boxed meals (I know, boxed pasta is cheating in the BOB). But the best parts of this challenge were that we ate in every night (saved at least one $30 family meal) and we didn't go to the grocery other than to buy food for our 2 children (saved about $70). So we reduced our expenses by $100 in 1 week. We'll probably work this into our routine at least once per quarter.
    DH would have to have fresh milk, otherwise we could eat out of our pantry and freezer for two weeks. I suppose you dhave nt want to coint eggs, ok. But we have meats and home canned or frozen vegetables/fruits that would last weeks, mnths for sme things.

I am doing this over the weekend.

Here is my list:

-4 tins ravioli
    -2 tins greens
    -2 tins potatoes
    -2 tins of salmon
    -2 tins veggie soup
    -2 tins chicken noodle soup
    -2 tins baked beans

Quote Originally Posted by UltraliteAngler View Post
    I am doing this over the weekend.

Here is my list:
    How much does that weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    How much does that weigh?
    It weighs a lot. And I am kind of an out-of-shape fatty. haha

So... I am considering lighter items. I suppose I could grab a handful of MREs from the outdoors store here to replenish the bag.

I think its unlikely for me to have to carry supplies on my person- most likely snowstorm, hurricane, tornado scenarios would have me hunkering down at home. I work at home, so I'd be there anyways. So for most of the supplies, its every day stuff that I rotate through, and weight really isn't an issue. I do have a 3 day supply of freeze dried stuff if I had to get in my car and go somewhere in a plastic box along with a supply of bottle water. I couldn't possibly carry enough water for 3 days in a backpack without killing my back, so I assume that would go into my car.

I have a separate backpack for if I had to leave the house in a hurry and didn't know how long I'd be away, say for instance if one of my parents are hospitalized. This has comfort items mostly and assumes that wherever I am, I'll be able to get something to eat for meals (I do have some snacks packed).

Forgot to follow up on this.

Tinned food all the time is nasty! It made my belly hurt!

I bet it did!

Thread Information