Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mindful consumption quest

Mindful consumption quest

So, I am trying to be a more mindful consumer. Some basic tasks I set myself (along with asking why I want to acquire this item) are avoiding items made in China or other countries with manufacturing standards I don't agree with and shopping locally, small business, used and direct when I can.

yesterday I blew it. I was at the gocery store and I stopped in the clearance section to pick up some fancy beaded ornament hooks (I use them on Christmas ornaments I make and sell and they increase sales) - 2 boxes, made in China. And I bought a snowman bottle wrapper on impulse - it does make me smile to open the fridge and see the lemon juice disguised as a snowman, but also made in China, and I could make one of those using materials I already gave in my house.

new challenge - think about making hooks.

meanwhile, so far this year, I shopped online for an apron, couldn't find what I wanted, and went to etsy, where I bought an uncut butterick pattern from the 40's. The plan is to get out my sewing machine, hit the fabric stash, and make the apron - after I catch up with all the other things that need to be done. So, I bought a project that is a solution.

http://www.clark.com/american-made-in-the-usa

Great reference. I wanted new loaf pans last summer. I did not know Pyrex is USA. Yippee!!!!

We all have to be willing to pay more for USA products-prices usually scare folks off. Fair wage? Higher cost goods. IMO a fair trade.

Good on you for getting right back on your wagon!

I got my youngest some Pyrex store and serve for Christmas. Made in USA, bpa free, union label and the box was made in Lancaster PA.

i'm more worried about the planet than the economy though. Sweden has excellent manufacturing standards - but the problem is the item is figuratively coated in oil when it gets to me.

dh is annoyed with me because I went to good guide and changed his shampoo. I changed my conditioner too, but I can't seem to do better on my shampoo without adding driving or mail order, so that's on hold.

i've been raising our grocery bill a little too, buying organic when I can, but since January is "winter vegetable" month it's not too bad. I'm starting to plan the garden with an eye to buying very little in the summer (putting the budget toward fresh fruit to eat and can!)

Cannot assume a brand is made in USA. http://madeinusaoreuro.blogspot.com/...-and-more.html

If the product is labeled "made in the USA" that 's the best I can do right now. Please consider your local crafts people. Dh got me a beautiful baking dish. It was purchased in the building where it went from clay to dish, and the artist asked me for the recipe for the sweetbread I make in it.

20% of the sale price went to the small business owner who arranged the sale event (more actually, because he also rented the studio space to the artist and did the firing). Because he earns part of his living from firing other people's work, he has a vested interest in keeping the kilns well maintained and fired as efficiently as possible.

the clay and glaze ingredients arrived at the studio in bulk, and the finished piece went home in a piece of reused bubble wrap.

Today I go out in the world and I go into stores.

Primarily, I need food. I will also be taking a few books and videos to the resale store because I pass it.

I know that my challenges are going to be:
    clearance merchandise at the grocery
    food packaging/ out of season
    books at the resale store.

i have to keep in mind that all I need right now are food and seeds.

I tried so hard a few years ago to do the NMiC. I did pretty well out the door. Hard work is required to surf the net, because for me I found looking at items in most stores was a waste of time. It meant No walmart or big box. Handmade as long as the fabric or yarns were local raised and made. I think I was able to do about 5 months of being strict. I even bought the most made in USA assembled in MI Ford I could buy at the time.

Now I try so hard to shop online with the intention of US or FairTrade or Sustainable or Organic as I can buy. We live Global lives now so the best I can do is what I can do. So I admire those that put effort forth to do the best that they can do!

I don't know what "NMIC" stands for.

None of these seem to fit:

http://www.abbreviations.com/NMIC

??? For me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I don't know what "NMIC" stands for.
    My guess, Not Made in China.

Thread Information