Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Mindful consumption quest

Mr Legs--is this a NOLA thing? My gosh, what a resume builder.

We try to be mindful too but I read that industrial pollution is a much bigger issue than what people can do. Our society used to use paper bags, glass bottles for milk that had to be returned, etc. Too bad we have done away with all that. We also enjoy thrift stores. I got 8 crystal wine glasses that were brand new 10 years ago. I did pay 20 which is steep for thrift store but they were in the box and high quality. I have 3 left)

Just a warning for everyone here

I think it’s great to want to buy stuff made in the USA and support Americans. But the corporations have figured out a way to LIE!!! To americans AGAIN. They now use prisoners in jails to make stuff so that it’s “technically” made in america. But it’s a prisoner making 5 cents a day rather than a free american.

Just watch out!! Thankfully it’s only big companies doing thiss…

You don’t have to worry about small companies. If your suspcicious just ask to see pictures of their workshops or factories.

"Made in the USA" long ago was corrupted, even beyond prison labor. Large components of finished products can come from elsewhere, or the raw materials can be from outside the country, or the product can merely be put together in the U.S. and it all counts as "Made in the USA". I'll let others discuss whether paying prisoners a specific wage is morally upright or another brick on the road to perdition. But, sadly, buying "made in America" long has called for an unusual amount of diligence.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Buy work from living artists, dead ones don’t need the money....

seriously, if you are trying to buy local and ensure fair wages, your best bet is to get as close as possible to the hands that made the product and talk to the maker.

farmer’s markets, craft fairs, small local businesses (the wood for our addition came from nearby states and Canada by way of a local mill. - the Canadian stuff is sustainably harvested, the more local stuff i’m Less sure about.)

if you can’t fix stuff yourself, hire local people to do it instead of buying a replacement.

my milk is in mason jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Buy work from living artists...
    DIY, I says!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Buy work from living artists, dead ones don’t need the money....

seriously, if you are trying to buy local and ensure fair wages, your best bet is to get as close as possible to the hands that made the product and talk to the maker.

farmer’s markets, craft fairs, small local businesses (the wood for our addition came from nearby states and Canada by way of a local mill. - the Canadian stuff is sustainably harvested, the more local stuff i’m Less sure about.)

if you can’t fix stuff yourself, hire local people to do it instead of buying a replacement.

my milk is in mason jars.
    Good advice.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree with some of what you say CL. We buy local when possible. I love art festivals, etc. However, i am not going to pay someone to fix my electronics when it is so cheap to buy new. Just like I don't have my shoes repaired anymore. It made sense when those things were expensive.

Prison labor is practically slave labor! I read that a lot of prisoners were fighting the forest fires in CA and OR for the grand sum of $1.00 per day. I cannot think of more difficult work.
    And, when they get out of prison they are not allowed to put the experience to use, because ex-felons are not allowed to be firefighters. Aaargh!

G, yes it’s not fair but one of my sons that has been in and out of prison for drug use working for any wage is better than doing nothing according to my son.

Thread Information