Thread: Northwest storms

Northwest storms

Here in the Pacific Northwest we've been slammed with storm that for our area we are not prepared for culturally. Any PNWesters here been affected? And what did you do that helped you be prepared? Or what challenges did you meet that you were unprepared or under prepared for and how did that work out for you? I spent about 3 days snowed in. We kept powered but had lots of ice issues to deal with. The 3 days snowed in were comfortable in terms of having enough food and water. If the power HAD gone out, and the water too, we could have gotten by, but it would have been more challenging. Anyone have this experience?

I'm only affected because my loved ones are stuck in the middle of it, and one of them has to make his way to dialysis. I check on them often. Usually, we share weather, but this time I got lucky. I have provisions that would last me at least a month, and I spent a week in 20-degree temperatures with no electricity once, using cats for heat But I got through it. Too bad I have no grandchildren to regale with "hardship" tales!

We are pretty self sufficient. We have enough food and water. We have a wood stove and lots of wood that keeps us warm and we can also cook on it. We have AWD and 4WD vehicles but don't need to get anywhere. Now looking forward to the floods. Back in '96 Johnson Creek practically gave us waterfront property. Having worked for the City I know that you better be prepared to take care of yourself because services get so overloaded. I have been very impressed with numerous Facebook groups keeping open dialogs on who is in need and who can help. Pretty impressive.

No problems here....we are pretty stocked up. The main challenge is that I must report to work, and driving in this is treacherous. My husband drove me in for several days, then I drove his truck Friday and today. The streets are laminated with 3-5 inches of compacted snow (ice) and there are only ruts on the main arterials. Our employee parking lot is a skating rink and I 'm waiting for someone to fall and break their hip or something. The temps haven't been above freezing for nearly a week. It's like Alaska or something.

We do not salt or put down de-icers for environmental reasons. I guess our city's street maintenance equipment is limited. We don't have this happen very often. The last time we had ice/snow like this was about 10 years ago.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Second day in a row where the ice is INSANE. Today ALL schools in the area are closed and people are told to stay off the roads. It is the weirdest thing because only the roads and sidewalks are ICE. Car windows are not coated. Even though the external temp is not too bad the sidewalks/roads are colder and the rain we had made them freeze.

Ice is ThE WORST! I feel for ya'll.

We got by with little ice after lots of threats of ice storm.

The Portland area is just now experiencing freezing rain. Beaverton seems to have been spared this latest assault. All my peeps are safe inside, I think. It's raining here.

Seems it is suppose to be 100 each day this weekend - I thought I would respond to this! Lots of snow and crunchy ICE this winter. Several years ago my dsil gave me some of those studded grippers you stretch over your shoes. I must say I internally rolled my eyes and tossed them in the bottom dresser drawer. Well let me tell you. I got those suckers out and put them
    on. I live about 3 miles from work. I put on my magic shoes and headed off to work. You'd think I was walking on bare pavement. So cool. I highly recommend them!

Today I'd give anything for some rain....
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I've given up on rain. I check the 10-day forecast all the time, and the best I get is cloudy. One day of drizzle since June. No wonder the PNW is burning.

Thread Information