Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hiya all from near Buffalo

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    western NY, USA.
    Posts
    4

    Hiya all from near Buffalo

    Hi, all! I’m Paul from western NY, USA (just south of Buffalo) and I joined recently to learn more about frugal, simple living. The world in increasingly complicated and I fear we are becoming ever more detached from our roots and old ways.


    I am married, I garden (mostly weeds but they’re really supposed to be vegetables and herbs ) and love cats, reading and writing. Star Trek and Middle Earth rule.


    My interests that I think are relevant to this community include Distributism (an economic philosophy rooted in the writings of Pope Leo XIII, G. K. Chesterton, Hillaire Belloc and E.F. Schumacher, amongst others. “Economics in service to the people,” ‘cause in Capitalism and Marxism it’s the other way around), Linux and open source software and generally looking for alternatives to the mainstream.


    That’s it for now. I hope to learn more about this place and all of you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,999
    Welcome, Paul. Look forward to discussions with you on the Forums!

  3. #3
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,293
    from Canada not too far from Buffalo. Did the latest melt get rid of a lot of the snow?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    799
    Live long and prosper - welcome aboard!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    western NY, USA.
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    from Canada not too far from Buffalo. Did the latest melt get rid of a lot of the snow?
    Yep! No snow on the ground, excepting little piles here and there!

  6. #6
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    11,092
    Hi Paul, and welcome.

  7. #7
    Moderator Float On's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    By a lake in MO
    Posts
    4,086
    Welcome!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

  8. #8
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    7,094
    Quote Originally Posted by paulcoholic View Post
    Hi, all! I’m Paul from western NY, USA (just south of Buffalo) and I joined recently to learn more about frugal, simple living. The world in increasingly complicated and I fear we are becoming ever more detached from our roots and old ways.


    I am married, I garden (mostly weeds but they’re really supposed to be vegetables and herbs ) and love cats, reading and writing. Star Trek and Middle Earth rule.


    My interests that I think are relevant to this community include Distributism (an economic philosophy rooted in the writings of Pope Leo XIII, G. K. Chesterton, Hillaire Belloc and E.F. Schumacher, amongst others. “Economics in service to the people,” ‘cause in Capitalism and Marxism it’s the other way around), Linux and open source software and generally looking for alternatives to the mainstream.


    That’s it for now. I hope to learn more about this place and all of you!
    Welcome! Wow, I, too, am interested in Distributism!! Not a mainstream economic theory, so I'm excited that you have an interest in it. My interest comes from my readings of Dorothy Day, and subsequently I read some of Chesterton's writings on it.

    Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    western NY, USA.
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Welcome! Wow, I, too, am interested in Distributism!! Not a mainstream economic theory, so I'm excited that you have an interest in it. My interest comes from my readings of Dorothy Day, and subsequently I read some of Chesterton's writings on it.

    Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    Nice to meet you! My interest stems also from Day and Maurin, as well as other Catholic sources.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    10
    I'll tell a funny Buffalo story. I live and worked in Houston and traveled to upper U.S. and Canada often. One afternoon after I had finished up a one day job in Buffalo I was waiting in the office lobby for some paperwork. The lady receptionist asked ma as I was sitting and waiting. "Sir, are you from Houston, Texas?" "Yes" I replied. She said, "I would like to ask you a question. When you folks go to work in the morning, do you all sit in your cars overheating every day on the expressways?" She was obviously talking about our summer heat and she was dead serious. I laughed under my breathe and replied "We survive it somehow", thinking you live in Buffalo, a freezer in the winter months! Just proves how different we are per where we live. I'll never forget that lady.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •