Thread: Hiya all from near Buffalo

Hiya all from near Buffalo

Hi, all! I’m Paul from western NY, USA (just south of Buffalo) and I joined recently to learn more about frugal, simple living. The world in increasingly complicated and I fear we are becoming ever more detached from our roots and old ways.

I am married, I garden (mostly weeds but they’re really supposed to be vegetables and herbs ) and love cats, reading and writing. Star Trek and Middle Earth rule.

My interests that I think are relevant to this community include Distributism (an economic philosophy rooted in the writings of Pope Leo XIII, G. K. Chesterton, Hillaire Belloc and E.F. Schumacher, amongst others. “Economics in service to the people,” ‘cause in Capitalism and Marxism it’s the other way around), Linux and open source software and generally looking for alternatives to the mainstream.

That’s it for now. I hope to learn more about this place and all of you!

Welcome, Paul. Look forward to discussions with you on the Forums!

from Canada not too far from Buffalo. Did the latest melt get rid of a lot of the snow?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Live long and prosper - welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    from Canada not too far from Buffalo. Did the latest melt get rid of a lot of the snow?
    Yep! No snow on the ground, excepting little piles here and there!

Hi Paul, and welcome.

Welcome!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by paulcoholic View Post
    Hi, all! I’m Paul from western NY, USA (just south of Buffalo) and I joined recently to learn more about frugal, simple living. The world in increasingly complicated and I fear we are becoming ever more detached from our roots and old ways.

I am married, I garden (mostly weeds but they’re really supposed to be vegetables and herbs ) and love cats, reading and writing. Star Trek and Middle Earth rule.

My interests that I think are relevant to this community include Distributism (an economic philosophy rooted in the writings of Pope Leo XIII, G. K. Chesterton, Hillaire Belloc and E.F. Schumacher, amongst others. “Economics in service to the people,” ‘cause in Capitalism and Marxism it’s the other way around), Linux and open source software and generally looking for alternatives to the mainstream.

That’s it for now. I hope to learn more about this place and all of you!
    Welcome! Wow, I, too, am interested in Distributism!! Not a mainstream economic theory, so I'm excited that you have an interest in it. My interest comes from my readings of Dorothy Day, and subsequently I read some of Chesterton's writings on it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Welcome! Wow, I, too, am interested in Distributism!! Not a mainstream economic theory, so I'm excited that you have an interest in it. My interest comes from my readings of Dorothy Day, and subsequently I read some of Chesterton's writings on it.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    Nice to meet you! My interest stems also from Day and Maurin, as well as other Catholic sources.

I'll tell a funny Buffalo story. I live and worked in Houston and traveled to upper U.S. and Canada often. One afternoon after I had finished up a one day job in Buffalo I was waiting in the office lobby for some paperwork. The lady receptionist asked ma as I was sitting and waiting. "Sir, are you from Houston, Texas?" "Yes" I replied. She said, "I would like to ask you a question. When you folks go to work in the morning, do you all sit in your cars overheating every day on the expressways?" She was obviously talking about our summer heat and she was dead serious. I laughed under my breathe and replied "We survive it somehow", thinking you live in Buffalo, a freezer in the winter months! Just proves how different we are per where we live. I'll never forget that lady.

Thread Information