Thread: Hello from San Diego, California! Minimalism newbie here looking for guidance

Hello from San Diego, California! Minimalism newbie here looking for guidance

Hello everyone. My name is Sam. I am a passionate artist of many flavors, a zen practitioner, and a yogi. I am in the midst of an evolutionary process where I am deconstructing my ego - and this requires the relinquishment of excessive materialism, consumerism, and activities that clutter the mind. I have tried out some minimalist principles, such as slow, mindful eating, cutting out social media, extra time for personal reflection without any distractions of any sort, and taking time to simply be - with absolutely nothing distracting me from the present moment. This worked incredibly well temporarily and dramatically increased my sense of well-being and also led to feelings of empathy and compassion. I did this without guidance however, and I tried to make too many serious changes to my life all at once and in turn, I got overwhelmed. The absolute joy that came from even a taste of minimalism was enough to make me try it again, this time with guidance from someone highly experienced.

As someone that is in the midst of recovering from paranoid schizophrenia, I need serious changes to my life that will bring about less self-centeredness and more clarity of mind. I have experienced absolutely inhuman suffering because of this condition, and I refuse to let myself be taken by it. I truly believe minimalism will be an excellent addition to my current set of tactics I am using for overcoming the disorder, and I am willing to give this my all. I need help and guidance from the most experienced and compassionate minimalists out there.

Thank you,

Sam

Welcome, Sam. I'm afraid I can make no claim to being one of the most experienced minimalists by any stretch of the imagination, but it's good to "meet" you and I look forward to talking with you on the forums. What kind of art do you practice?

Hi, Sam!

I'm interested in your motive for minimalism--for instance, we may read some of the same books! I'd love to hear of some of your influences--some of the Eastern teachers that I've read that write about the ego are Anum Thubten (No Self No Problem), Chogyam Trungpa (Cutting through Spiritual Materialism) and Thich Nhat Hanh's books which as you probably know are mostly about attending to the present moment.

More Western based authors would be Richard Rohr (The Naked Now); Bernadette Roberts (The Path to No Self) and Anthony deMello (Awareness: the Perils and Opportunities of Reality).

You'll get great support and ideas for minimalism here..many of us are somewhere along that path.

Welcome!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

psychedelic trance production, yoga, poi, cooking, and I rap on occasion.

Thread Information