Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Disassembling our 40 Encyclopedia Britannicas.........

There is a portable tool, that can do similar to a bandsaw, a jigsaw. I expect you will need to use a spring clamp to hold the cover open together, or rip it off, and then cut along the spine.
    Other option might be to contact a commercial shredding place and see if they will do them, if you meet them somewhere they are doing work.

Thanks TMS..........actually, I meant to ask my DH if we have a jigsaw, but I forgot. We have a couple out-buildings where it might live.
    Yeah, DH is having tons of things shredded at his office, and I wondered if they would take whole encyclopedias. I will try to find that out today.

Meanwhile........I'm having a panic attack........and severe separation anxiety over this. As I was tearing all this history up in the first 4 books, it just really, really bothers me. I think after it's all gone, I won't feel this way anymore.......but the process is excruciating.
    I actually started thinking about just storing the dang things until I have more time to think about it. (Since 30 years hasn't been enough!) haha
    Surely those shredding companies recycle that paper, don't you think? I wonder how they would sift out the faux leather covers?

When I worked at a university, entire books were sent to recycler at the end of the semester. Not sure you have to dismantle.

When I send things that will end up as mixed material, I have fears that it will be thrown out and not recycled. I guess you could say I'm very distrustful of what "recyclers" really do with the stuff.

Some of the paper is recycled, but shredded paper takes more work. My parents city, does mandatory recycling and only this last year, started taking shredded paper. (it has some chemical process, to dissolve it into pulp, my understanding)

TMS......are you saying that shredded paper is more difficult to recycle than whole pages?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    TMS......are you saying that shredded paper is more difficult to recycle than whole pages?
    That is what their city informed them. I am only going by that as I tend to use mine as kindling.

Cathy A. I struggled with getting rid of the encyclopedias and finally just put them in the trash a few at a time. It was hard...I loved the gold edges and the covers, but they were of no use....then my Brother in Law emailed me about getting some for my sister for Christmas....he bought them from Craig's List. I think they have probably recycled them or trashed them by now. So, good luck.

Thanks nswef. It's like saying goodbye to a time in life, in general was a bit simpler.....and things were made better. These "unused" ones are in perfect condition and so very, very well made. It's so hard to have not lived a simpler life in the past and then need to deal with so much stuff now......some of which was so important and valuable at one time. I just know, once these are gone, someone will say "Hey.....I'm interested in those encyclopedias you had....are they still available?" haha So I guess I should expect it and not be surprised.

TMS...........hey, kindling is a great idea......that way, it's giving to you twice! Thanks for that idea, TMS! We do have a fire place. Sometimes recycling uses up more energy than it's worth. and we can give thanks to it, as it warms us.

I am surprised that recycle would not take intact books as that is how I disposed of a set encyclopedias. It was sad because they were in new condition but I'd not looked at them in years and they were taking up space. Have you asked your local school or library how they dispose of old books?

Thread Information