Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Living outside Chicago -the Sanctuary city ......people leaving means higher taxes...

I am surprised your in-laws did not check out COL versus salaries in their fields and one of them having a decent paying job before they left. We have moved all over for work but always did our homework first. Even before computers we used the classified ads and library to obtain the information.

Lets just say that my in-laws are very special people.NO they don't do their homework ever. They moved there thinking they could escape Illinois taxes but didnt figure that Florida homeowners insurance , taxes, and being jobless. Frankly they burned through what they saved. Now they've been gone 3 years everything here has doubled by then especially food prices.They are in for a shock. On the other hand, my dad as goofy and thoughtless as he is, he found a job and worked there almost a year (in Florida) before we sold our family home in Chicago. Although my parents moved there I stayed to finish out my education. They've been there ever since 1993. Meanwhile, we here are enjoying buying a dozen donuts paying 9.75 %tax plus 2.75% sweet tooth/sugar tax.

Have you told your inlaws about the price increases? Are they coming back jobless too? It would seem at their age there is one foolish decision after another.

Yes I warned them, but they go back to what they know, taxes and the unknown......

I was absolutely shocked at the scope of Chicago public schools scaling back on hiring school librarians. Parents are volunteering to run school libraries and keep them open. Many are now closed. Students don't have access to school libraries��

Chance the Rapper donated one million dollars to Chicago Public Schools. He set a great example because local city bakeries are chipping in with fundraising to help out.Yea its a drop in the bucket but it put the governor to shame.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Can you who are around sanctuary cities give more details as to how it affects the economy? I read the news from several sources but it is hard to tell what is really fake. Is there more of a burden on social services, more crime?

florida has notorious low wages and not the best social safety net. If it weren't for all the retirees paying school taxes I could not imagine how bad the schools would be.

But it in the past we left an area that had decent schools but we could see the writing on the wall as taxes started to increase and industry started to scale back. I don't regret uprooting my kids and going to a new area as in the long run it paid off. Unfortunately no one has a crystal ball and because it worked in our favor it could likewise be a disaster.

San Francisco's economy is booming. Lots and lots of construction happening all over the city. The sanctuary city thing is not an especially big thing here. It's just a small part of an overall progressive agenda. Minimum wage went up to$13 last year. There's a city run health insurance program for restaurant workers that provides care via a 3% surcharge on restaurant checks if the restauarant doesn't provide insurance to their employees. All the big hotels have unionized workforces. A housekeeper earns upwards of $20/hour after six months on the job with excellent benefits. There are plenty of services to help people that need them, both public and charity. No homeless person is going hungry here.

The biggest problem we face is a lack of affordable housing.

Seattle and Portland don't seem to have suffered--job growth in Seattle is average but it's about double that in Portland, unemployment is under 5%, and--perhaps unfortunately--the real estate market is exploding.
    3017 11th Ave W, Seattle, WA 98119 - 3 beds/1.75 baths

I live near Cincinnati.

dd is in the city and just got a new, commercial construction related job that came with a significant raise, meanwhile, her old company is laying off 20% of her old department because the grocery business is struggling. Fish went on sale as usual this lent, but cabbage doesn't seem to be taking it's usual st. Paddy's dip.

i also teach in the city limits. We charge tuition, and although we do have a scholarship program, this is the first year we haven't lost a student due to an unemployed parent.

i've been volunteering at the food bank, not long enough to tell if use is trending up or down, but the shelves are well stocked.

gas prices are hovering around 2.15, dd2 just got hired for a summer job at $12/hour. Her best friend just got a better part time job also.

dh job is almost one year into a three year wage freeze.

i got an increase in hours at work. I don't know yet if I will also get the usual cola, in 8 years they have only skipped it once.

feed prices are holding pretty steady.

Thread Information