Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Living outside Chicago -the Sanctuary city ......people leaving means higher taxes...

Living outside Chicago -the Sanctuary city ......people leaving means higher taxes...

I live 20 miles outside of Chicago the sanctuary city. Im not commenting on the politics right now- but the fact that there has been an exodus of Illinois residents leaving the state due to high taxes in the state (we pay 9.75% sales tax in cook county!). These are people who earn above $77,000.00 a year. However I read an article this week confirming my fears that Chicago being a sanctuary city, with "carnage", many residents are moving out of the city /state. It affects us since we live in Cook county same as Chicago- that our property taxes and personal state tax will go up to make up for the loss in revenue. A perfect storm is coming! We cant move as we live in a good community with good schools and job is here. I thank my lucky stars that I am frugal and live below our means and will try to off set the high cost for now-to add the "depression era mentality I have now".But this place will be a battleground of all levels.Any thoughts?

How much longer will good jobs and schools be in your community?

I can see at most 10 years , as our community is pretty solid for now. But who knows as many houses are going up for sale. The public schools are wonderful when the schools start cutting budgets or corners, then you know . I dont see any resolution to this region we are in. Chicago has turned to a big beast that everyone is feeding.Its a whirlwind of crappy depressing weather, bad politics, tragic fiscal disaster as we are 2 years without a state budget.The shootings are famous now worldwide. If Trump wants to intervene why stop him? At least someone is trying to do something instead of just talking.

The whole West Coast is studded with sanctuary cities. Seattle's sales tax is around 10%. I've been perusing real estate ads and hovels are going for 300 to 500K in the Portland and Seattle areas. It's insane, but nobody's leaving here (drat!) .

What is Trump going to do to stop the violence? Add more violence? A neutron bomb? Or maybe deploy his torture squad? One can only hope he reaps what he has sown.

I have relatives who moved just across the Wisconsin state line and still work in the Chicago area. They claim it saves them a lot of money, even though Wisconsin is not a particularly low tax state. My brother-in-law claims Illinois has ridiculously under-funded public pension plans that he's afraid he'll get stuck paying for, and I believe him.

For some years, and despite many real-world challenges, Chicago has jumped on the usual feel-good bandwagons like sanctuary cities and nuclear weapons free zones. I think they even banned foie gras for awhile.

Yes Chicago is a volatile city.I had immigrated with my parents to Chicago in the 80's from Europe. I grew up there but not every immigrant experience is created equal. Once you get settled into the American tapestry its a fight to sink or swim in this economy nowadays. My elder family members recall how in the 70's jobs were available for those who wanted to work. Now its opposite, good jobs scarce.Communities are dying a slow horrible death.But with everything you have to adjust to the change. Its a sad change.Yes many people live in Indiana and commute to Illinois for work.There is a huge difference across the state line.

Ldahl: your relatives I would guess are living in Kenosha and if so there cost of living is much lower then it would be in Illinois. Housing is a lot less, the public schools are decent and Wi residents enjoy many services that are free if they need them. Of course the taxes are paying for that.

Yes Kenosha is a very nice place, most of Southern Wisconsin is. We enjoy buying a lot of nice things on craigslist usually out of the milwaukee area.
    However I live closer to the Indiana state line. Our wonderful letter carrier was gone a few weeks to find out she transferred to Indiana and moved there too. Just tried of working and being overtaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Ldahl: your relatives I would guess are living in Kenosha and if so there cost of living is much lower then it would be in Illinois. Housing is a lot less, the public schools are decent and Wi residents enjoy many services that are free if they need them. Of course the taxes are paying for that.
    Southern Kenosha County, but I know of people living in Racine, Walworth and Milwaukee Counties as well who "vote with their feet" and commute into Illinois. I imagine that happens around a lot of high-tax, high-cost areas.

I live in NW suburban Cook County. There has actually been some talk over the years of my town seceding from Crook County. I buy gas in DuPage County, near work. I buy groceries and anything else possible in Lake or McHenry Counties, depending on where I am in the area (visiting friends, etc.). I'm right on the border, so the 10 minutes drive to go shopping in Lake County is nothing. I spend as little in Crook County as possible.

Thread Information