Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Living outside Chicago -the Sanctuary city ......people leaving means higher taxes...

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

...Alaska. ...wouldn't be my choice. For one thing: it's cold and dark!
    I won't argue with you about the cold. With an average temperature year round of 37 it's significantly colder than even Billings MT. However, it's no more dark than anywhere else, with an annual average of 12 hours of night per day. It's just not spread out as evenly throughout the year as it is in many other places.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Take your library, for instance. We were shocked to see you stock Huckleberry Finn on your shelves where any child could be exposed to and damaged by its deeply offensive language. We demand an investigation and some expensive remedial action. While we're at it, we will be requesting an EEO investigation of your staffing policies. We will also be looking into whether you are providing adequate non-English materials to the community at large. We will be demanding the construction of a new branch in a historically underserved neighborhood and will be wacthing with interest the contractors you choose to build it, and who you will choose to name it for.
    OK. I think we do most of that already. When I worked there, the staff was a multi-gendered UN, and we offered books in multiple languages. We have branches everywhere. But I take your point.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Take your library, for instance. We were shocked to see you stock Huckleberry Finn on your shelves where any child could be exposed to and damaged by its deeply offensive language. We demand an investigation and some expensive remedial action. While we're at it, we will be requesting an EEO investigation of your staffing policies. We will also be looking into whether you are providing adequate non-English materials to the community at large. We will be demanding the construction of a new branch in a historically underserved neighborhood and will be wacthing with interest the contractors you choose to build it, and who you will choose to name it for.
    Well, everyone but trump knows that running a library is not as simple as healthcare. And if the library is going to do a good job of serving all of their community instead of just the majority demographic of their community, it shouldn't be easy.

I have to update that State of Illinois is opening a trust so that it can become a sanctuary state. Anyone know what that will mean for residents of the land of Lincoln?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Well, everyone but trump knows that running a library is not as simple as healthcare. And if the library is going to do a good job of serving all of their community instead of just the majority demographic of their community, it shouldn't be easy.
    Ahh, running a library is scads easier than running healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ahh, running a library is scads easier than running healthcare.
    But trump was surprised that healthcare was so difficult. Maybe he should've stuck to library reform...

And thinking about libraries and LDAHL's race baiters they apparently exerted their force at my neighborhood branch library. I noticed on sunday that the Chinese language fiction section is actually larger than the English language fiction section. But I suppose that's to be expected when my zip code has more ethnic Chinese (40%) than caucasian (39%) people, and a total Asian population of 55% according to the 2010 census.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    But trump was surprised that healthcare was so difficult. Maybe he should've stuck to library reform...

And thinking about libraries and LDAHL's race baiters they apparently exerted their force at my neighborhood branch library. I noticed on sunday that the Chinese language fiction section is actually larger than the English language fiction section. But I suppose that's to be expected when my zip code has more ethnic Chinese (40%) than caucasian (39%) people, and a total Asian population of 55% according to the 2010 census.
    Yeah--"race baiting" as in meeting the needs of your customers. What a novel idea!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Yeah--"race baiting" as in meeting the needs of your customers. What a novel idea!
    If only if was always as reasonable as that. In my time at the business end of government I have seen the most innocuous things become racially charged. That's not to say that's the only source. I've seen emotional battles of Town vs Gown, preservationists vs developers, cyclists vs drivers, union vs management, the arts community vs the philistines, golfers vs ice skaters and of course taxpayers vs tax consumers.

There doesn't seem to be a correlation between the scope of a given issue and the level of viciousness

Sanctuary states can lose a lot of federal funding because the funds can be tied to not being one. It is one way the FEds control the states.

I agree it is totally changing the financial dynamics of this state. Most likely resulting in more people moving out or next states over. That means most likely quadruple taxation for us.

Thread Information