Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living outside Chicago -the Sanctuary city ......people leaving means higher taxes...

Some of the more puckish tax proposals percolating through the new congress are contemplating elimination of deductions for mortgage interest or State taxes, which are thought to disproportionately affect high-cost, high-tax areas.

I totally agree TRadd we do that because we are close to the Indian state line and whenever there is a chance we buy gas and food over there. I live 2 miles from Will county and they are 2% less on sales tax, thats a big difference. The trouble we have to go through to save a buck.

What's with all the Chicago hate? It can be a wonderful city to live in with some of the best museums, not just in this country, but anywhere. We have a great library system. You could go see a live show any night of the week if you wanted. Wonderful parks. Some of the most amazing architecture in the world. In the city, the public transportation is great and getting better. We're able to live without owning a car but can get one from zip car any time we actually need one.

Complaining about the weather is just stupid. Moving to NW Indiana isn't going to get you better weather. It's the same weather but now you have 18 inches of lake effect snow on top of it.

I grew up just across the border and still have family in Indiana. I visit regularly. Sure, taxes are a little cheaper but I don't think overall cost of living is that much less. I sometimes grocery shop in Indiana, just because that's when we have the zip car already. I don't spend much less in Indiana for about the same amount of food. I've seen the small town I grew up in become choked with new development and traffic so it is indistinguishable in most ways from any other Chicago suburb. Honestly, Indiana isn't that great. Been there, done that.

I find it hard to make the 90 minute commute to Indiana once a month to see family. I can't imagine the torture it would be to do every single day of the week just to save a couple of thousand bucks a year in additional taxes and maybe have a bigger house. I'd have to drive everywhere (I hate driving). Every thing there is fifteen minutes by car- grocery shopping, one sister's house to the other's etc. Blech.

And calling it "Crook" county is dismissive and offensive to the millions of mostly law abiding citizens who live here.

Just call me happy to live in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeginfizz View Post
    What's with all the Chicago hate?
    I don't think its a love/hate thing. Most of the people I know who have left the area say it was either due to the high costs of living in the safer neighborhoods or concerns about the schools.

Chicago has many great things to do and see. I grew up an hour away. We loved to go to see the stage shows, have lunch and shop for the day. Just a quick train ride away. However, people are ruder there but that may just be a big city thing where the more people are concentrated into an area the less tolerant they become.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Chicago has many great things to do and see. I grew up an hour away. We loved to go to see the stage shows, have lunch and shop for the day. Just a quick train ride away. However, people are ruder there but that may just be a big city thing where the more people are concentrated into an area the less tolerant they become.
    I spend a lot of time there too. But I'd rather rent Chicago than own it.

There is no hate for Chicago. It's that those who remain here since so many people are getting up and leaving. We are sticking it out like the "Dust Bowl" and dealing with the challenges of living here. It is simply becoming more and more challenging to stay. Ive been here since 1981 and clearly it is getting more expensive and challenging like not getting shot on the expressway.DH works nights on the Bishop Ford and he first hand has seen these shootings, crime scenes, major accidents. YOu only have 12 weeks of summer and mostly crappy windy weekends overcast or unseasonable cold. We've had a sailboat two years in a row, trying to enjoy Lake Michigan for what it is by Navy Pier, we only used it 3 times. So no hate here, haters leave for something better.

I just wanted to update that my inlaws moved out to Florida (Sarasota) area 3 years ago and could not find similar jobs with similar pay. So they are selling and going back to Chicagoland. I told them that since people are moving out there will be many homes for sale to choose from but surely the taxes with deter them. However they are think of Indiana for lower taxes and cheaper homes. Parts of towns are resembling Detroit now especially Joliet closeby which is will county's seat, with all the courthouses and vacant office buildings. Howsad as I remember how vibrant it was even around 2000. This confirms my theory, stay where the jobs are.

Quote Originally Posted by sylvia View Post
    I just wanted to update that my inlaws moved out to Florida (Sarasota) area 3 years ago and could not find similar jobs with similar pay. So they are selling and going back to Chicagoland. I told them that since people are moving out there will be many homes for sale to choose from but surely the taxes with deter them. However they are think of Indiana for lower taxes and cheaper homes. Parts of towns are resembling Detroit now especially Joliet closeby which is will county's seat, with all the courthouses and vacant office buildings. Howsad as I remember how vibrant it was even around 2000. This confirms my theory, stay where the jobs are.
    Joliet has been hurting for a long time - back in the early 90's when we moved to Naperville, our drive in sent us through Joliet. To say my wife was dismayed would be an understatement. Of course Naperville looked quite different.

If it's gone downhill since then, that sounds pretty bad.

Sadly I got a job driving a bus at Pace, going through Joliet. The Green Garden neighborhood I had to memorize where to turn since there were no street signs, My trainer pointed to turn after the burnt down house and stripped car, or between the torn couch on the corner and two chairs. No one should have to live that way. I quit because the job was dangerous and depressing. Many towns and big cities are teetering towards becoming like Detroit.

Thread Information