Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: International Dating...?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I spent most of my life not drinking and never judged others who did including family, friends, etc. I would serve it if having a dinner or party, etc. I did not drink at all until my kids were launched and I had more time to go out with friends, etc. Most the women my son met wanted to have kids and it was a definite no for him. Fortunately, he met his soul mate and she did not want any either. It is expensive to get a fiancee visa, etc. Also you have to make enough $ to support the person you bring over for 10 years and if not another family member has to sign that they will support them if need be. They do not want them on any type of assistance.
    1. A lot of depends on not drinking. What were your reasons for being teetotal?
    2. That ten years of support is scary! So if you marry someone from overseas and then divorce you a year later then you have to float them for another 9 years?!

Not owning a t.v. is so much more of a plus for me than anything related to using or not using alcohol or marijuana ever could be (except not being an addict, actual addiction is a problem obviously).
    Trees don't grow on money

In my experience as a foreign spouse, I had to first get conditional temporary residence ( conditions included physical residence with spouse, no foreign travel). I think it was at least a year. After that, I applied for temporary residence without the conditions, but needing a re-entry permit should I travel outside the US. We had to get letters from non-family members to certify that we were living together as a married couple. I had to provide a letter from my employer to prove that I was gainfully employed, and bank statements. I also had to provide three letters from non-family individuals to testify to my moral character. We also had to be interviewed by a homeland security agent. Filing fees were a couple of hundred dollars. After that, I could apply for comditjonal legal permanent residence, and then apply to have the conditions removed. At any time up to the granting of non-conditional legal permanent residence ( which took several months, and cost over $1,000, 15 years ago), ending of the marriage would have cost me my temporary residence visa, leading to the probability of deportation. I could have appealed for permission to remain, but would have had to show viable employment. I would have been entitled to whatever goods/money the divorce laws of the state mandated. Should my appeal have been rejected, I'd have had to leave the USA. After three years of unconditional legal permanent residence, the foreign spouse can apply for naturalization as a US citizen, again a fairly lengthy and expensive process. It even costs money to get permission to pay by credit card!

There are severe penalties for marriages contracted for the purpose of acquiring US citizenship, including deportation and permanent exclusion of the foreigner. The US citizen can be heavily fined.

One of our neighbours (a Vietnamese immigrant and naturalized citizen) married a Vietnamese woman on a visit to his family. It took 5 years before her visa was granted. By then, they already had a son.

This is just to point out that it's not easy to get a green card or US citizenship by marriage. It's deliberately made difficult. There are no guarantees either; the foreign-born spouse can be denied at any time, and deported, or not get an entry visa in the first place.

This link may be of use to anybody complatimb importation of a spouse:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-...nent-residents

Perhaps the OP is looking to leave the country and go to live in the country of the new partner (if OP obtains new partner). I would think that would be a motivator for many people looking into international dating.

In which case, check out potential mates from Ireland, Denmark, or Ecuador.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Perhaps the OP is looking to leave the country and go to live in the country of the new partner (if OP obtains new partner). I would think that would be a motivator for many people looking into international dating.

Only if he finds someone who could pay off his education loans. By other posts, he has left that option out.

UL: I did not drink because my family had a fair number of alcoholics in it that I had never met but heard the stories. So I decided with 3 kids to raise to not even risk it. If you divorce too soon the person has to leave. I think you must stay married for 5 years for the person to be able to stay. My son dated my DIL long distance for 3 years and then applied for a fiancee visa. He got it fairly quickly but he had 3 years of pics, plane ticket stubs, etc to demonstrate it was a real relationship. It was very expensive to pay all the fees, etc. She came here in 2009 and the rules may have changed since then. They cold live in Poland if they wanted to but he does not speak Polish and there are not enough jobs for everyone. Many Poles have moved to GErmany and the UK for jobs. They may move there when they retire but my son needs to live somewhere he can work. Both wages and COL are low.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post

Why would you suggest these countries?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Only if he finds someone who could pay off his education loans. By other posts, he has left that option out.
    Apparently I could just stiff the USA and stop paying, if I became a foreign national and worked abroad.

A coworker of mine has really been on me about going to Southeast Asia to meet a wife. His suggestion is Vietnam, but he said Cambodia is good too, even Thailand or maybe Laos.

He thinks I should save up 3 weeks of vacation time and go to Vietnam for all three weeks. He suggests I try to make connections with women before I go and then spend the whole time dating there, not really doing tourist stuff per say. Just go on dates everyday.

Apparently whereas I am seemingly invisible to most women here in Ohio I would be noticed there; whereas my options here are very limited I'd apparently have many more options there. Again, this is his viewpoint.

This guy is a frolleague of mine, we're fairly tight. And I think he can tell I am lonesome. So he is trying sincerely to figure out a way for me to meet a life partner. He knows a number of guys who have taken this route and are happily married.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    A coworker of mine has really been on me about going to Southeast Asia to meet a wife. His suggestion is Vietnam, but he said Cambodia is good too, even Thailand or maybe Laos.

He thinks I should save up 3 weeks of vacation time and go to Vietnam for all three weeks. He suggests I try to make connections with women before I go and then spend the whole time dating there, not really doing tourist stuff per say. Just go on dates everyday.

Apparently whereas I am seemingly invisible to most women here in Ohio I would be noticed there; whereas my options here are very limited I'd apparently have many more options there. Again, this is his viewpoint.

This guy is a frolleague of mine, we're fairly tight. And I think he can tell I am lonesome. So he is trying sincerely to figure out a way for me to meet a life partner. He knows a number of guys who have taken this route and are happily married.
    Maybe. Do you think that culturally southeast Asia is the best pool for you to draw from? I was thinking European culture might be better. But for sure you have to get someone who is educated.

I’ve been watching a few mail order bride documentaries and There is a severe shortage of men in the Ukraine, so Ukraine girls are looking outside of their area for men

Thread Information