Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: International Dating...?

The "submissive Asian bride" trope is troublesome on so many levels.

As is the "privileged American white dude going bride-hunting in disadvantaged foreign lands" thing.

Then there's the "women who are 9/10s" business, and the presumptions of who they may or may not be interested in.

And connected, of course, is the MRA movement, and the MGTOW movement.

What a stew.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    now THAT is a bunch to watch out for
    , hahahaha
    I *might* consider remarriage at some point, if it came with Canadian, Norwegian, Swedish, or Icelandic citizenship access :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    1. Dating women way too young for them. If you are 50, then 45 to 55 is pretty reasonable. Not 20!
    2. Not focusing on a woman with real potential. Instead they think: "Oh, oh! That one over there might be even better than the one I am talking to now!" And they bounce around and end up leaving empty handed.
    3. Moving too dang fast! Spend more time on getting to know the woman, keep in frequent contact after you leave, go back again to visit for longer, etc. Take it a little slower.
    4. Dating a woman who is way out of the guy's league. If you are a fat guy with a boring personality and not much money then don't think you are gonna be crushin' it with smokin' hot women who look like models or pop singers. Be realistic. Like, I would say I am roughly a "5" on the 1-10 attractiveness scale. So I would not go to Thailand and try to get hooked up with an 8 or 9. I would go for a woman who is in my league. Most guys go over there trying to pick up a model.
    Except for #4, you've just describe to a T a guy who lives down my street. Well, maybe #4 except obviously he has money. He's a well-meaning guy but he doesn't seem to have any idea of the women he's dealing with and is always crushed when they ghost him. JMHO he'd be much better off looking for a romantic partner here but American 25-year-olds probably have a different view of him than the Filipinas do.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

1. Dating women way too young for them. If you are 50, then 45 to 55 is pretty reasonable. Not 20!
    I set the sliders on the online apps to "45-65", and I'm just-now 56. I've had some unsolicited expressions of interest from people in their mid-30s.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The "submissive Asian bride" trope is troublesome on so many levels.

As is the "privileged American white dude going bride-hunting in disadvantaged foreign lands" thing.

Then there's the "women who are 9/10s" business, and the presumptions of who they may or may not be interested in.

And connected, of course, is the MRA movement, and the MGTOW movement.

What a stew.
    I am not really buying the Asian-women-are-submissive thing. But I can't say I have much first-hand experience with Asian women as I have only ever gone on a date or two with Asians. They just never really caught my eye, nor were there many in my social circles to meet.

I just want to find a life partner -- if I find her in my apartment building or in Latvia I would just be grateful. And man, I would play my cards differently too.

I've had some unsolicited expressions of interest from people in their mid-30s.
    If they are otherwise a good match, I say go for it! Mid-30s is totally doable.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Except for #4, you've just describe to a T a guy who lives down my street. Well, maybe #4 except obviously he has money. He's a well-meaning guy but he doesn't seem to have any idea of the women he's dealing with and is always crushed when they ghost him. JMHO he'd be much better off looking for a romantic partner here but American 25-year-olds probably have a different view of him than the Filipinas do.
    I have a frolleague who is 25. I cannot imagine dating someone her age.

If they are otherwise a good match, I say go for it! Mid-30s is totally doable.
    I went on a date last week with someone who was 72, who was quite wonderful.

I went on a date last week with someone who was 72, who was quite wonderful.

I would date a 72 year old if she and I really clicked!

I am giving this a try again.

Thread Information